Chapter 4

By the time night fell, we were all mentally exhausted. We were all making fun of each other and chasing one another around. Nate and I had to go check in with Mary and get our meal before we head to the gate to switch with the guards on duty. Waving goodbye, I hugged Shelby and Tatum one more time, thanking them for the gift. I also hugged Conner wishing him a happy birthday. My mom stopped by the town square earlier giving me her present, which was an elk hide jacket with wooden buttons so it would close.

Nate and I walked into the town center to find Mary waiting with two plates of food and some weapons. She smiled as we entered, "Good evening you two, I hope your day wasn't too exhausting that you can't do your duty tonight."

I swallowed, " No Mary, we are perfectly capable to work tonight's shift."

Mary nodded, "Okay good, eat up."

What we had for dinner was a simple honey-glazed fish with some fruit. Both Nate and I handed Mary our canteens so she could fill it up with water as we ate. When Mary left to let us eat, Nate spoke to break the silence, "So are you excited for tonight Arden?"

I shrugged, "Not really, I do like the peace and quiet that night brings, but I know I'm going to be exhausted for a couple of days after."

Nate nodded in agreeance, "Yeah that's me too. But at least I have you with me tonight, when you're there I'm more likely to stay awake."

"When you're there, I don't get the peace and quiet that I like."

Nate smirked, "Aw, you hurt my feelings. But I don't understand why we have guards always posted. We haven't seen anybody else for years."

I nodded, "That is true, but you can never be too careful."

Before Nate spoke up, Mary walked in with our canteens. "Are you two done eating? Done, good. Well suit up and get out there."

Nate and I put our dishes on the table in front of us as we grabbed weapons. For guard duty, we are usually suited up with different weapons just in case any animal or human tries to get into the Burrow. The things that guards carry are bow and arrows, a sword, a small knife, a horn to alert the other guards if there is any danger. There are usually about 10 guards during the day and about 20 at night. Each guard pairs up with another guard and they each have a section of the wall to protect. I strap the sword around my waist. Grabbing the small knife, I put it under my shirt. I now have another small knife because of my friends but having two won't hurt. I filled my quiver up with arrows as Nate was finishing up getting ready. I put on the light breastplate that guards wear for extra protection. I put the knife that Shelby and the others got me in my boot.

After a couple more minutes, we were ready to go. Nate and I headed towards the door, but Mary stopped us. "Oh, I almost forgot, happy birthday Arden."

As usual, Mary is a business first and play second. I turned around smiling at her, "Thank you, Mary!"

We stepped out the door as I heard Mary calling at us, "Stay safe you two!"

Nate chuckled, hollering back to Mary "Together, we are always safe."

I muttered under my breath, "I wouldn't be too sure about that."

Nate snapped his head at me, "What did you say?"

"You heard me."

He sighed, running his hand through his hair, "This is going to be a long night, by arguing, it is going to be even longer. What I'm asking is for you to stop with the snarky remarks just for tonight. They're really hot, and I would rather bicker with you, but we need to take this seriously."