A satisfying beat

4

Seph's POV

- - - - -
The worn out soles of my boots made soft thumps on the tarmac pavement, filling the silent walk with a satisfying beat. The roads were relatively empty and the houses seemed deserted, with only the occasional flash of light through the closed curtains of arched windows. Surely it wasn't that late? I quickly unlocked my phone and checked the time.
8:05.
I was already late.
I sped up my pace and walked ahead, rubbing my arms in the process. My choice of white on this cold evening reflected badly on my body, quickly forming goosebumps along my upper back. My ears rang with the soundless ness of the surroundings, giving a slight edge to the otherwise harmless walk, I still sped up my pace. Making the satisfying beat of my boots appear more alarmed, less rhythmic.
Imagination is a funny thing. making you see inanimate objects, suddenly morph into monsters with a flick of your eye. Or suddenly feeling a solid presence at your back, like a persistent shadow.
"Seph, get your shit together. Now is not the time"
The wide, deserted road began to narrow down into a a series of tunnels, confusing my mind further. Was it the far left? No the right. But-
The unfamiliar sting of panic began to set into the rigid muscles of my body, sending adrenaline pumping through my system.
I had no clue. What to do, where to go. So I followed my gut instinct and took a left. A far left.

Alec's POV
"Ladies and gentlemen," Michael began "I'm Michael Chamberlain, and we are the Hippocratic oath."

Well crap. Here goes nothing.

Expectant applause echoed throughout the café, sending a ringing in my ear drums. Bada-dum bada-dum bada-dum. My heart beat surprisingly steady. My hands, shaky against the frim grip on the neck of my guitar, i side-stepped from behind the curtain an into the light of the stage. it was blinding. I raised an outstretched hand in front of my eyes to recover from the glare, which the crowd confused as a wave. Oh lord. help. me.

Some more awkward shuffling, and mumbled sorries and I was standing on my designated 'X'.

The countdown until the first riff of our song seemed to last a lifetime. My eyes flicked upwards as Fletcher, our band's drummer, clicked his drumsticks to last count of 3. 'One' My gaze panned from left to right glancing at the sea of faces, a flash of red, a sparkle of blue eyes, a down of black hair. None matched her features.'Two' it was impossible to mistake her beautiful features. The head of dark curled hair, similar to mine. The shock of grey her eyes delivered, making her appearance more wild, untamed. That was what she was. uncontrollable. The aftershock of an earthquake. the storm clouds approaching on an autumn day.

'Three."

i'm sorry

-Ren