Chapter 4: "Check" Mate.

"...I must not go,
I see her close beside me with silent lips sad and tremulous."

-Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass: "Once I Passed Through a Populous City"

Sans' POV:

I knew what she was trying to do. Of course I knew.

She was ridiculously easy to read with the way her soul projected, so expressive, so loud. I could sense her intent from across the room without even looking at her.

So, Feeling the slight spike of anxiety in her emotions, I pretended to continue searching for the ketchup bottle I already had in my hand, curious to see what she would do and how far she'd run with it.

When I felt her nerves reach a sudden peak, I casually raised a hand and gripped her soul without turning around.

PING. THUD.

I shoved the refrigerator closed with my foot and leaned against it, making sure to keep my Expression neutral. She needed to trust me, yeah, but first... she needed to know that she didn't have a choice in the matter.

Her breathing was deep and ragged as she laid there, trapped under my magic. I felt a surge of satisfaction and... heat, at seeing her so helpless against me. Oh, I was definitely gonna explore this later... I nearly purred at the thought.

I expected her to resist, wanted her to in fact; feeling her wriggling against my soul was incredible. What I didn't expect her to do was succeed. my eye sockets widened as she somehow lifted herself to her hands and knees; it was a slow and shaky process that I was sure she'd be feeling in the morning, but she made it, maintaining eye contact with me the entire time. I had to fight hard against the second, stronger wave of heat that swept through me. Shit, that was hot.

I whistled lowly. "well damn, lookit you! takin' it like a champ! you shouldn't be movin' right now, doll," I informed her with a grin.

She just stared.

So I stared back for awhile, just enjoying the view, wondering how long she'd be able to keep up her little rebellion. Not too much longer if the violent tremors in her supporting limbs were any indication. In all honesty, I had always imagined my mate to be someone who could match my strength, who could take whatever shit my dumbass self gave 'em and throw it right back in my face, along with some of their own. But her...

"...hn. didn't think you'd be such a frail little thing," I murmured to myself as I took a thoughtful swig of the ketchup. Pff, the look on her face.

As a mate, this girl wasn't anything like what I'd expected her to be. I mean don't get me wrong, from what I'd seen so far, she was still exceptionally strong, especially for a human, but... her strength was softer. It was subtle and small, but it was there, Buried deep inside. There was an unbelievable fire burning in her hidden bones, I could feel it...

'she just needs a little push is all.'

Oh shit, did she say something? I spoke out loud, didn't I? I shrugged it off and pretended like I hadn't just zoned out for an entire minute.

"eh. forget it, s'not important. but back ta what i was sayin."

'just a little push...'

My smirk returned as I extended a single finger towards her, motioning her closer. The look on the little doe's face as she was jerked up and pulled right to me amused me to no end. I nearly purred with delight at the cute little sounds of protest she made when I bound her hands behind her back, bringing her close enough that I could feel her frantic breath brush my face. She looked so delicious like this... I couldn't completely hold myself back. I grabbed her chin and ran a thumb over her lower lip before dipping the bone slightly into her mouth. I shuddered at the sensation.

"now, ta answer you're question... what happens to you? what i do?"

I pressed my phalange forward just a tad more, brushing her tongue. "...what i do t o y o u..."

Mmmm, that face. I decided to give her a break and moved to cradle her cheek instead. "like I said; it all depends on you, sweetheart. ya gotta decide now how smart you're gonna be about this, 'cause that?" I motioned behind her, "not gonna lie, doll; that was pretty damn stupid. tryin' ta pull a fast one on a friggin' mafioso? can't con a con, darlin'."

It was precious how she tried to deny the facts even though she'd already figured it out.

"well, now thatcha know me... i think it's only fair..."  I allowed myself the luxury of running my phalanges down her flushed cheek, ghosting them over her neck and collar bone on their way down. Mmm... god, her skin was smooth, so soft and warm... but her body could come later; that wasn't what I was after now. I tore my gaze away from hers and looked down, focusing on where my hand was hovering above her humming soul.

'just a little bit...

"i think it's only fair i get ta learn a bit about you."

'just a little push.'

P I N G .