Chapter 2: Thump.

"I am he who knew what it was to be evil..."

-Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass: "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry"

Sans' POV:

"NO!"

I stiffened and looked back at the source of the scream to find a woman standing at the mouth of the alley, wide eyed and shaking as she took in the scene before her. To my surprise, the woman didn't run; Instead, she began to shakily plead with me on behalf of Buck.

"Wait... d-don't..."

Huh? did she know him or something? I squinted at her as Buck whimpered in the snow ...mmmmnope. I'd never seen her before. And besides that, there was no way she'd have anything to do with the family. I didn't even need to 'check;' I could see that innocence just by looking at her. Everything about her, her terrified expression, the way she seemed to be trying to make herself look smaller, how she immediately clapped her hand over her mouth after she screamed... it all told me that she hadn't meant to be there that night.

The little wide-eyed doe just happened in on the wrong place at the wrong time.

"P-Please... please d-don't-"

Looking into her fearful, pleading face, I almost cringed at the thought of what was about to happen. Hoo boy.

'Sorry darlin. Bad luck.'

I pulled the trigger.

My slight wince was more from her reaction than the actual bang. I sighed as I holstered my weapon and turned around to face the little doe. She still wasn't running. In fact, she didn't even look at me, unable to tear her eyes away from Buck's body. I sighed heavily as I glanced down at the growing puddle of blood staining the previously pure and untainted snow, stepping aside before it could reach the bottom of my shoe.

Looking back at her, I actually started to worry. The doe was obviously in shock, practically comatose. Fuck. Shit. I should probably say something.

"heh... you aight there, sweetheart?"

Not even a twitch.

I resisted the urge to facepalm hard enough to knock my skull into the snow. Oh yeah, real smooth, dumbass. Does she look 'aight' to you? Look at her!

...Shit... look at her.

I probably should have just shortcutted the fuck outta there before I could give the girl anymore nightmares than I already had, but... stars, she was just fuckin' Standing there. In the snow. In a skirt. Without a coat. I had to at least make sure she got home, right? If it weren't for me, she'd probably already be there.

'just gotta snap 'er outta it, sansy,' I reasoned with myself. 'then ya can cut home and rip inta that bottle a' heinz callin' you're name.'

I took a breath and started towards her, slowly, like somebody would an actual cornered animal. The closer I got to her, the clearer her features became. She was... huh. She was cute. Pretty and cute and so, so small. Delicate. God damn, her head only just cleared the bottom of my chest....