Prologue

I've never given much thought to how I would die so the thought of living again never occurred to me -though I'd had reason enough in the last few weeks- but even if I had I would not have imagined it like this.

I collapsed to my knees, unable to stand any longer. My head pounded as my body fought the strange blood that was trying to overtake my system. I knew this sensation. I had felt it once before, during the days I had turned all those years ago.

Why did it hurt so much to live again? My vision went black as my heart beat for the first time in more than seventy years. I drew a slow painful breath.

The heart in my chest labored, unaccustomed to its task. My lungs burned with the constant intake of oxygen, which seemed to sear my throat. All the muscles in my chest cramped each time i inhaled.

Finally i fell into blissful unconsciousness. For the first time in years i had fallen asleep. I dreamed of the world i was now going to escape. I dreamed of the nights i hunted my attackers down one by one, saving Royce for last. I dreamed of the day i discovered Emmett being mauled by a baer in the woods. I dreamed of the child that i was now fighting for, the child i always wanted but could never have.