Part 7

CHAPTER 5

After Anwar's consultations with his Iranian counterparts which lasted the whole day, he went out for someshopping and took in the City's magnificent sights. As he was heading back to his hotel room, a black BMW swerved right in front of him, the doors opened and two dark-suited men, ID's in hand introduced themselves from the Iranian Intelligence department and asked Anwar to come along with them. It was more of order than a request. He was blindfolded and taken to a remote locality where a Mercedes Benz was parked. The blinds were taken and he found himself alone in the car. What on earth is going on he wondered to himself when the rear door opened.

The man seated himself to the left of Anwar, he looked to be around forty's, tall at around 6ft and well built.

"Aslam Malakoum, Anwar. I'm Habibullah Mohammed Tarique".

"Malakoum Aslam ", replied Anwar, in a slow and steady voice, wondering who the hell was this guy.

"Sorry for the way we had to meet But there was no other way ", said Tarique.

Anwar remained silent and was listening.

"Trust you had a fruitful day at our foreign office", said Tarique.

"Whom do you work for ", asked Anwar.

"Well Anwar, just let's say that I work for the Iranian Intelligence Service and I just wanted to have a chat with you", replied Tarique

"What about ", asked Anwar.

"Be patientAnwar. You will know as we move along. Our sources tell us that the new political dispensation in your country is clueless as to how to take the country forward. They seem to have got carried away with a huge victory. They don't seem to realize in which direction to move. India imports 80% of petroleum and natural gas from Iran and now with the ISIS thugs on the Eastern side trying to establish control over the oil pipeline and refineries, looks like petroleum is going to become much dearer to your countrymen. If your government increases the prices, it will have a bearing on the prices of all essential commodities resulting in a huge outburst of emotions on the streets.

On the other side, we understand that Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence( ISI ) is preparing a welcome party for your new Prime Minister in the next few months. The Calcutta episode was just a teaser." said Tarique.

Anwar was now engrossed in what he knew will be the course of events that would follow. He was speechless.

Tarique continued "You see Anwar, lets just say that the way things are proceeding now and that too with the new boys in parliament who don't have an iota of what they are supposed to do, except bitching among themselves for all the frivolous things, there will be a time when people will come out on the streets and demonstrations start taking center stage, there maybe a likely breakdown of your system, something which has never been witnessed before. I'm sorry to say that the present or for that matter even the past governments could never take a decisive stand on how to deal with terrorism from across the border."

Anwar was blinking and wondering though Tarique had hit the nail on the head, he was still unclear as to what was he expected to do.

Tarique continued, " Please think about what we discussed on the broader parameters."

Tarique closed the rear door before the same driver drove him back to his hotel room.Once in bed, he closed his eyes and kept asking himself what was he expected to do about all this mess and why was Tarique who was probably some senior Iranian Intelligence official highlighting all the grave threats that were looming over the country. He did not create all this mess, it was there even earlier, created by the earlier governments and shortsighted policies. He was just a senior government official with the Ministry of External Affairs and he couldn't fix things.