9

Hello friends!!!! I hope you're doing well :) This new part of oak might be one of my faves regarding some,,,,,, specific,,,,, characters heheheeheh anyhoot I hope you enjoy this part!!

-:-:-:-

The door opens with a loud bang and you rush out onto the roof. The sky is pitch black and there's a strong wind whipping through your hair, playing with your clothes – you zip up your windbreaker in the hopes that it won't fly off your body. Panting slightly, you carefully walk up to the edge of the roof, eyes fixated on the ground. The crime scene tape has long been removed but you still remember where the sniper's nest used to be, and you approach it without hesitation.

Nothing. They found nothing.

You crouch down, eyes flitting over the ground as you absently chew on your bottom lip – but it's not like you could ever find any evidence the crime techs couldn't find before, let alone at night. You absently run a finger over the roofing, the rough surface grazing your skin. Your mind starts to wander as you keep staring at the ground, but you try not to let it – you try to push Taehyung's hardened features from your mind, try to forget the way he'd turned your back to you and gone to bed right after dinner, leaving you alone. You try not to think about the look that must've been on his face as he heard the front door fall closed behind you, as you left the apartment to go here.

With a sigh, you tear your gaze away from the roofing to look over the ledge, down into the streets below. The view Yoongi must've had while he took out Kim Jeongho.

Your eyes glide over the brightly lit sidewalks, the harsh yellow street lanterns shining down on the people walking there. Almost immediately, your gaze falls on a small coffee shop across the street, the brand new street tiles they laid in front of it right after you cleared out the crime scene, and you let out a sigh. Thoughts of Taehyung momentarily fade to the background and your eyebrows furrow, you grit your teeth.

You know it was Yoongi, you know he was here, you know he pulled the trigger – and yet, there's nothing to prove you're right. Not even after you made crime techs go through the whole scene again, not even after you and Jungkook went up there yourself again, not even after going over the entire roof and stairwell with a fine-toothed comb – you're not even sure why you're even here, why you're still trying to find something that you somehow overlooked all this time.

Because, either way, you have no other option but to go back to the people you escaped from in the first place.

A sudden rush of panic overwhelms you, tightens around your lungs. The twinkling lights down on the streets blur and you blink fast, taking in a laboured breath and running a hand through your tangled hair. This is what you chose to do – you insisted, despite Jungkook's protests, despite Taehyung's reaction.

And you have no fucking idea how you're going to prove that this was the right choice.

You bite down on your lip, blinking until your vision sharpens – you can't just show up on their doorstep and ask for forgiveness, beg for them to take you back and hope for the best. You have to come up with something better, something that would make your return at least slightly believable. God, why didn't you think things through? You only thought about the quickest way to get someone on the inside, the quickest way to get to Jimin's ledger – but now that you need to think of a plan, this hurdle you're facing seems much larger than you thought it could ever be.

"You always were meticulous," a low voice sounds from behind you and you jump. Soft, raspy, and most of all, familiar – you don't need to turn around to know who it is.