O N E

"You worry too much." I hear Knox say from opposite me.

I look up at him, detaching my teeth from my finger. He is drinking a cup of coffee while leaning on the kitchen counter, relaxed. The complete opposite of me right now.

I have been waiting beside my phone for three days now for the call from Stone Inc. if there will be any at all. The lady who had interviewed me had told me that I should receive a call within three days if I am hired so if after today I don't get any call I'm fucked.

I mentally roll my eyes at Knox, not wanting to do it obviously because no matter what, he is still my husband and I do not want to disrespect him like that but he just pisses me the fuck off sometimes.

He knows how much we need this job. How much I need it.

"Anyway, I have to get going." He tells me looking at the leather watch on his wrist. He pours the remnant of his coffee down the drain before dropping the dirty cup in the sink. "I'll see you later, babe." He says leaning down to kiss me, his stubble grazing my cheek lightly, before walking away.

At the click of the door, I take a deep breathe before taking a long look around our small, dainty apartment.

Knox and I have been married for almost a year now. At first it was great and we were both happy, but then five months later, Knox lost his job as a construction engineer. He became a bit depressed and pretty much sulked around the house all day not wanting to do anything. For the first month, I was understanding towards him, but then, eventually, it became frustrating having to go to work and then come home to clean up his mess. And then there was the problem of paying the bills.

Thankfully, two months ago, Knox finally got back to himself and got another job at a relatively smaller construction company downtown. It had less pay but at least it was something. Well, that was until my company was shut down last month due to bankruptcy and I became out of a job too. Now, we are barely getting by, which is why I desperately need this job. Plus, I'm going crazy having to stay at home all day with nothing to do but clean, do laundry, and watch tv.

I have been applying for different jobs around town and till now no one has called back which has been so discouraging but I couldn't allow myself feel down about it. A week ago, I saw the ad for the job of a personal assistant at Stone Inc. a multibillion dollar company in Seattle and I quickly perked up at the opportunity although I was fairly sure that the probability of me getting the job was next to none, I tried anyway. The job wasn't specific but at this point, I didn't care. Anything was better than nothing.

After some minutes of staring at my phone once more, willing it to ring -which it didn't, I decide to get up and begin my day. I quickly clean up the plates Knox and I used for breakfast before going to take a long shower.

Once out, I blow dry my hair and get dressed. I hear the ring of my phone which is on charge, and I rush to it desperately hoping it is from Stone Inc. only to see it's a call from my best friend, Megan.

I groan before picking up. "Hey, Meg." I greet, sitting on the bed.

"What's up, girl!" Her ever chirpy tone is heard over the phone. "We still meeting up at Bakers Treat?"

Oh shit. I had totally forgotten.

"Um, of course. What time?" I ask her biting my bottom lip.

"How about, say, in an hour?"

"Alright. I'll be there. Bye."

"Bye boo." She says before we hang up.

For the next half hour I entertain myself with movies and going through the job column in newspapers. After today passes, I will need to apply for more jobs after all.