T W O

Today is my first day at Stone Inc. and to say I am nervous would be a huge understatement. As my heels click against the pavement, I can practically hear the quick, rhythmic pounding of my heart against my chest.

I had really wanted to make a good impression so I went all out in a red chiffon top with a ruffle at the edge of the sleeve and a black and white checkered skirt.

I felt sexy as well as professional, but all that almost went along with the mild wind the moment I finally stood before the intimidating Stone Inc. building which looked to be a thousand floors up into the sky but in reality it was only 53 floors. I remember that from the last time I was here.

This is it, Nicole. I breathe to myself deeply before raising my chin up, straightening my back and walking in.

As soon as I felt the cool Air Con come in contact with my skin, I was immediately grateful for my choice of clothing because I blended right in with the well dressed corporate workers hurrying up and down to their various destinations.

My last job had been in the accounting department at a relatively smaller company and that was the most significant job I have had in all my 23 years of living so being here, in this massive building surrounded by extreme professionals was utterly nerve racking to say the least.

I walk up to the front desk, spotting a dark haired lady sitted behind it with her head down. At the sound of my heels, she looks up at me before a polite smile slips onto her face.

"Good morning, how may I help you?" She asks.

"Hi." I practically stammer. "I'm Nicole Smith. I'm here for-" she cuts me off.

"Oh, hi!" She says excitedly with a bigger smile. "It's so nice to meet you. You can go right up to the 40th floor to Amanda's office, it's the last door to your left. The elevator is right that way." She informs me, pointing out the direction.

I'm immediately grateful. "Thanks a lot."

"You're welcome. I'm Brittney, by the way." She introduces herself with an outstretched hand which I receive, eager to make a friend in this place.

"It's nice to meet you, Brittney."

"Same here. Maybe we can go out for lunch sometime but for now you should probably head up. Amanda hates tardiness." She emphasizes.

I immediately leave her desk and practically run to the elevator which was just about to leave. I heave a grateful sigh once I'm successfully in it and it begins its steady ascent to other floors before finally, the 40th floor. I bite my lower lip as my nervousness sets in once again.

Not giving it anytime to grow, the elevator doors slide open and I walk out to a large office area with several cubicles. I go to the far left, per Brittney's instructions, where I see a door with the name Amanda Johnson engraved on a gold plate. I knock on the door, immediately receiving a response, before I walk in.