4

chapter 4

richie tozier asks for a dance
"this is my favourite song"

eddie hadn't been in for a full week, and richie, was out of his mind. richie knew it would take time for eddies eye to heal, it was probably reducing down to a green-yellow bruise now.

richie didn't want to see eddie injured, but he couldn't stand not seeing him. eddie was good. eddie laughed at his jokes, eddie understood him, eddie was different.

and richie liked it.

richie knew he liked boys, ever since he had spent his junior year summer playing street fighter. a boy he had found cute often played with him, until henry bowers caught onto this. apparently it was his younger cousin, that got richie into a lot of fights and made him the centre of unwanted attention for a while.

richie avoided playing street fighter since then. he avoided the capitol entirely. richie, however, couldn't avoid his feelings. he spent most of his nights hating himself for it, but when he met eddie he really didn't care what anyone, or henry bowers' cousin specifically, thought of him. he only cared what eddie thought of him.

eddie was strong, stood against his own mother. richie admired that, he was drawn to it. eddie was magnetic. small, angry, adorable. richie wanted eddie to notice richie, he wanted eddie to see him past stupid immature jokes, and his 'mommas' hateful words.

"hey trashmouth," greta spoke. richie didnt like it. he didnt like it as much as he did when eddie had called him trashmouth. he loved it when eddie called him that. richie hated it when greta said it, it made him feel disgusting. "we're closing the store today, take the day off."

richie didn't even bother to wonder why they were closing the pharmacy for the day. he was just glad to have a day to himself now.

"yeah," richie looked over at greta, who was texing away on her blocky pink phone and blowing her iconic pink bubblegum. everything about greta was pink, a fake and sickening pink. like a barbie doll, but not one you would want to play with. "yeah, i will, thanks." he held his breath as he left.

richie only let out a breath of relief when he was outside the pharmacy. ever since henry bowers had yelled at him in the capitol theatre, the day he realized he was gay, richie had become jumpy around people. he was always afraid someone would ask. someone would say, 'is it true?' and richies hesitation would spill it all, he would give himself away. he hardly ever talked back anymore, scared to be threatened with the truth of his homosexuality.

richie pushed his glasses up his nose with his index finger, a habit, and he stared to make his way down main. the sun shone on his back, spreading warmth over him, he felt slightly better. this was nicer then being held up in a white tiled pharmacy with greta keene. he figured he would go to the records store, it was usually empty, had good music, and he needed some records anyways.

"rich!" a small gasping voice called out behind him. "richie wait up!"

richie stopped his walking and turned to face the one and only eddie kaspbrack, who was holding his knees, doubled over and clutching his inhaler.

"jesus ed's, you tryin' to kill yerself?" richies normal voice morphed into an accent, he mentally cursed himself for it, wondering why he can't just be normal, but eddie smiled, taking a huge puff from his aspirator.