fourteen

"How is she?" I asked Gale, walking down the corridor.

"She's getting better. Thankfully it just hit her suit rather than her flesh." He informed. "What was that out there?" He asked me. "With the sword. No hesitation."

"Kill or be killed I suppose." I shrugged. It had to have been the adrenaline and the fear of Kat's safety. I couldn't let her die, knowing there was something I could have done.

I walked to Kat's room to see her awake with Johanna who was taunting her, as usual. She noticed me walk in, and stood up, looking at me, and walking out, leaving the two of us together. "I know you're upset with me,"

"You didn't have to kill him." She snapped.

"Kat, he was going to kill you. And I didn't see a bulletproof helmet on you now did I?" I said back, defending my actions once more.

"We look like killers." She responded, still concerned what people thought of us.

"We look like survivors, Katniss. And right now, you're dead to the Capitol." She looked down at that and sighed. "Look, they want you to go into the room with Peeta." I informed her. She shook her head. "Kat, it's for him. He needs to get used to you." I said to her. "I understand it's hard, but at least he remembers you." I began to choke up. I know him wanting her dead was definitely worse than my situation, but I still couldn't help but feel sorry for myself in a way. Suddenly, the nurse and Haymitch came in to wrap her up and talk to her, so I left and went to Peeta's room. I walked past the guard and let myself in, causing him to look over to me. "Hi, Peet." I greeted him.

"Hello." He said back. We've now met a total of 4 times. He was comfortable around me, but I still haven't struck his memory yet. I had hope, though.

"Now, please, try to be calm, okay?" I said to him, grabbing his hand and sitting next to him. Katniss now walked in and he readjusted in his bed, pulling his hand away from mine, as much as he could.

"I remembered something." He informed her and I looked to him. "I remember feeling sorry for you and giving you bread that one day in the rain." He continued. I knew of this story as well. He felt sorry she hadn't eaten in days, and he took a beating because of helping her. "My mother was so upset I gave it to you because it was for the pig." He continued. She seemed a little happy at the fact he remembered he did this for her. "I would have saved myself some suffering if I had just given it to the pig." He now told her, angrily. Our potential hope in recovery was now lost yet again.

"Peeta," I began.

"Can you both leave." He stated, now pulling his hand entirely away from mine. I stood, reluctantly and followed Kat out of the room.

***

Finnick and Annie were now wed. I watched in the front row, feeling so immensely happy for them, because Finnick truly deserved it. He smiled over at me and then the two kissed. The celebration would have been enjoyable if Peeta were with me, but he wasn't. How could I celebrate while he lay strapped to a bed, miserable and confused? It was selfish to do so. I watched as everyone danced and clapped and smiled. It was excitement for District 13.

I stood with Katness and Johanna watching it from afar, when Katniss decided to speak her mind freely. "I'm going to kill Snow." Katniss said abruptly, causing both our heads to turn to her. "No more cameras and promos. No more games. He needs to see my eyes when I kill him."

"Now you're talking." Johanna smiled.

"I'm always in." I responded now. "We just need to find a way to the Capitol."

"Medics said they're shipping supplies for the front line from hangar two around midnight." Johanna informed. "I could stay here and cover for you two." She smiled again. Kat looked to me and I nodded.

As the party continued on, I eventually snuck away from the girls and the excitement, and walked down the long corridor once more until I reached Peeta's room. I opened the door as he slept and I sat myself next to him. I brushed my fingers against his cheek and leaned forward, pressing my lips against his, softly. He kissed me back for just a moment until he woke and realized what was happening. He pulled back from me and tears formed in my eyes.

"Why can't you remember me." I cried, frustrated with just about everything at this point. He looked to me, concerned and almost believing my stories.

"I'm sorry." He said, sincerelly. "I wish I could." He continued as we looked into each others eyes. I was only just inches from his face. Out of selfishness, I lunged forward, harshly, and pressed my lips against his once more. This time, he kissed me back for longer. My left hand reached up and intertwined in his hair as I leaned into his chest. I didn't want to pull apart, but when I did, I stayed very close to him. "You really do love me, don't you?" He asked out of the silence in the room so quietly that his voice cracked.

"I do." I nodded, crying again. "I love you so much, Peeta Mellark."