57

THERE isn't a specific moment when things get better. In fact, I'm not sure if my heart break truly becomes manageable. The pain that took the place over Harry's absence is still there, I'm just used to it now. I've grown accustomed to it. I can now face my pain instead of ignoring it.

I guess that counts for something. It means that I'm less delirious. I can hear my kids mention Harry without breaking down, and his name can be brought up by my friends without them worrying about me.

But that doesn't mean the pain has necessarily gone away. I'm just better at not letting it consume me.

Communication with Harry is bitter sweet. We talk like we used to eons ago-minus the stupid fighting and anger. Our text thread is scarce and now consists of one-word messages and time exchanges for visitation drop offs. There were a few times when I was staring incessantly at our messages, and was surprisingly met with three hovering dots, indicating that he was typing.

But after numerous minutes passed, they went away.

So I haven't truly talked to Harry since weeks ago.

I know that there will come a time where I'll have to. But what am I supposed to say? How am I even supposed to act?

It's all a confusing mess that I'm not ready to confront. So I'm happy with avoiding him and mellowing in my own thoughts for the time being.

However, that stops when I arrive at Harry's home today, waiting to pick up Ava and Alex. I sit in the car, scolding hot for an agonizing thirty minutes. I beep my horn, call his phone, wait impatiently-and he has yet to step out of his house.

"How long doesn't it fucking take..." I grumble under my breath, finally inhaling deeply as I step out of my car. I shrug off my blazer, draping it across the passenger seat before I close the door.

I wipe the sweat off of the back of my neck, trudging up Harry's driveway in my flats, feeling my patience ebb away with each second. "Inconsiderate asshole." I curse. "Doesn't he know that I have things to do?"

One I reach his porch, I don't refrain from pounding on his door and ringing the doorbell a few times.

But then I stop.

Is that music I hear?

Before I can get my bearings together, the door swings open, revealing a familiar red head that causes my stomach to drop.

"Audrey!" A smile spreads across her face.

I blink, trying to come to my senses. "Hi..."

"What are you doing here?"

"To pick up my children?" I tilt my head, trying to figure out why the hell Harry has her over here. My gaze flickers behind her, hearing numerous conversations and music. What the fuck is he doing? Hosting a house party or something?

With my children here?

"Oh! Right! I think H said something about that..." She murmurs, bringing a palm to her forehead.

I blink at her incredulously. You've got to be fucking kidding me.

She steps to the side, gesturing for me to come inside. "Well, I'll just go get Harry if you want. I know his house is kind of big and I wouldn't want you to wander-"

"That's okay. I know the ins and outs of this place quite perfectly." I interrupt, shooting her a clipped smile. "Thanks."

Maya becomes flustered, blood rushing to her cheeks as she adverts gaze. "Oh, right. Sorry."

I don't stick around for long, already navigating myself through the house to look for my children.

"Auds!" Zach calls for me, a can of root beer in his hand as he lounges on the couch. The same couch where Harry used to bend me over and- "What are you doing here?"

I blink at him, eyebrows furrowing as my steps come to a fault. "What are you all doing here? I come here at this time every week to pick up the children."

"Oh, right." He laughs, shaking his head. "Dumb question."

I stare at him, waiting for him to continue. But he doesn't. Instead, he drinks some more of his root beer, seeming to appreciate the sips of soda more than he probably should.

I raise my eyebrows, growing impatient. "Hello?"

"What? Oh!" He laughs again, blushing. "Sorry about that. Well, Harry got promoted. So he invited us all over."

I raise an eyebrow. "To a party?"

He nods.

"While my kids are home?"

Zach cracks a smile. "Lighten up, will you? It's a kid-friendly party, you dipshit. You know how Harry is. He's become a proper dad at this point."

Zach probably notices that my nerves aren't eased so he points behind him. "You hear that music? It's Kidz Bop. Complete garbage, if I'm being honest. But the children seem to love it." He rolls his eyes. "Harry's got an entire game room for everyone that's brought their kid. Don't be so uptight. He's just celebrating a huge promotion, Auds."

I shift my weight, noticing the glittery streamers that line the floor and the balloons that are tied to all things stationary. "Oh."

"Yeah, oh." Zach rolls his eyes once again.

I feel myself becoming defensive, not wanting to start on a conversation so trivial. "Why was that Maya chick here?"

"Why wouldn't she be? She's a cool girl isn't she?" Zach raises an eyebrow. "She hangs out with us any other time when Lo and I host parties."

"Yeah but that's different."

Zach chuckles at that, tipping his head back and downing the rest of his root beer before turning to me. "If you feel threatened by Maya in any way, then you're truly losing it, Auds."

"I don't feel threatened."

He snorts. "Yeah well, I can confidently tell you that he isn't fucking her. He isn't thinking about anyone else. No matter where you two stand at the moment."

"I don't care about that."

"Keep telling yourself that." He stands to his feet, patting my shoulder as he passes by.