Falling for a Murtaugh

Calvin and I headed back shortly after finishing our pizza. It was nice getting away from the competitive Tom Baker.

I think Calvin and I both could relate that feeling. Our dad have been competing with each other since they were kids.

My dad brags he has the larger family while Murtaugh's bragged about being the more intelligent.

"Drop me off at the pathway. I'll walk" I said. Calvin laughed pulling into the clubhouse parking lot.

"Cmon we have the rest of the day to kill. Why spend it in that boring house" he said. We walked into the clubhouse to find my dad and his dad talking to a security guard.

"Calvin where were you? You were suppose to be watching the younger kids" his dad said. He looked over towards me confused as to why we were together.

"Maggie and I went and got pizza sorry dad" Calvin said. In the presence of his dad he was more rigid and upright but when it was just us he was carefree.

"Maggie?" My dad asked. I pushed my lips together and waved not sure what to say in the moment.

"You know Tom I've been trying to say this in the nicest way but you're kids are screwups" Jimmy Murtaugh rudely said.

Both Calvin and I along with my dad were taken back by the comment.

"My kids may screw up but they aren't screwups" my dad fired back. "Your kids are going to crack one day"

"Let's solve those Labor Day, fight for the cup" Jimmy Murtaugh said. My dad agreed grabbing me by the arm.

"Dad I'm 19 let go" I said pulling my arm from his grip.

We headed back to the lake house and we're summoned at once for a family meeting.

"Okay from now on, no seeing the Murtaugh's. No talking to the Murtaugh's. No thinking about the Murtaugh's" my dad said as he paced in front of his whiteboard.

"Can't we compete and like still see them?" Sarah asked.

"No! Right now I'm not a father, I'm a coach" my dad lectured. I rolled my eyes at his statement. "We are going to be training twice a day everyday, starting outside in ten minutes"

Everyone groaned, this is why we stopped coming to the lake. It became to stressful and was far from fun.

"Come on everyone outside" my dad urged.

"I'm not participating this year" I said heading upstairs to my room. My dad tried to intervene but I slammed the door shut.

I wasn't going to get involved this year. Instead while my dad was pressuring the little kids I was sneaking out with Calvin.

We would head out of the rural lake area and head towards the town nearby in Wisconsin. We would then head back a few hours later,Calvin dropping me off at the edge of our driveway.

Today though, we were daring. I came much later rushing up the driveway for dinner. I walked in to everyone staring at me.

"Look dad, your really ruining this vacation. Nobody wants to talk to each other. You know I'm glad I'm moving to Houston" Nora said sprinting out of the house in a fit of rage.

"Sorry I'm late" I said slipping down into my seat and scooping pasta onto my plate.

"Where were you?" My dad asked not even looking up from his plate.

"I'm not a baby" was all I said. My dad looked up at Jake.

"Bulk up" he said sternly. "And you, you're helping me tomorrow train" he said. I placed the fork down and headed straight upstairs.

"Maggie" my mom called out.

"I'm not participating in this. Dad had allows made the summers out to be a competition. Why can't we all just get along" I said before shutting the door and going to bed.

The next day I headed to the meeting spot. Calvin was waiting for me.

"Hey" I said. He leaned in giving me a kiss.

"My dad took Eliot and your sister the movies. Come over and have dinner" he said. I smiled heading into the car.

I was nervous to say the least. We walked in and I was instantly welcomed by his step-mom.

"Welcome Maggie. Glad you can join us for dinner" she said. The family sat around the table, complaining about their dad and the pressure he was putting on them.

In that moment I felt guilty. My dad was only trying to unite us this vacation.

"So Maggie what are you going to school for?" Sarina asked.

"I'm at the university of Chicago to become a therapist. Charlie is at the school as well" I explained. Sarina smiled.

The whole family talked and I learned that they were just like us.

Calvin took me back just before the movie ended. I headed into the house beaming from ear to ear.

I hadn't felt like this in a while and was beginning to think Nora was right about me needing a man in my life.

"What are you smiling about?" My mom asked as I walked in. I knew I could confide in her, she was the total opposite from my dad when it came to this competitiveness.

"I had dinner at the Murtaugh's. I really like Calvin mom. Is it bad that I do? I don't want dad to be mad or anything" I said sitting at the dining room table with her.

She smiled and gave out a chuckle.

"Maggie Baker, your father will come around whether he likes it or not. For now just worry about your feelings and let me handle your father" she said. I smiled before getting up and heading to my room.