Chapter 1: Falling

Early August, the start of a new semester. Minho was seated at the back corner of the small-sized lecture theater, overlooking all his classmates. The class was almost full, understandably so considering it was the first session where most students would not dare to skip classes yet. The lecturer was running five minutes late and the class was growing noisier by the second. When the door suddenly flung open loudly, the class quietened in unison, only to find the figure standing by the door was not the expected lecturer.

Jisung, the brunette by the door, quickly said in visible relief, "Oh, the lecturer is not here yet!" He made his way to the very back of the room, scanned the vacant seats, and decided on the seat right beside Minho. He asked whether Minho minded having him there and Minho gestured an approval. 

"Yo I'm Han Jisung," he said as he sat down. 

"Oh, hi, I'm Minho."

Jisung was taking out a notebook and a slim pencil case from his bag when the lecturer stepped into the room. Minho had been ready with his own notebook open on the table, his fingers now fiddled with his pen. 

"I heard the professor is strict," Jisung whispered, leaning closer to his new acquaintance. "But the class is super fun! This is a foundation module for me. How about you? Wait, are you a freshman?"

Jisung realized he must have asked one question too many as Minho gave him a side eye. Not so subtle, furthermore. "Oops sorry, we can talk later after the class ends, I guess."

Jisung did keep his mouth shut for the following two hours. When the class ended, Minho seemed as uninterested in Jisung as before, packing his stuff swiftly without muttering any words, which made Jisung slightly disappointed. Hence, he was pleasantly surprised when Minho finally spoke to him.

"You wanna have lunch together?"

"Huh?" was the first response that escaped Jisung's mouth. "Uh, I mean, yeah, sure!"

Minho chuckled inaudibly. "I think I came across as mean earlier, but I swear I'm not. And you're a freshman, so let me treat you."

***

When Jisung found out Minho was taking him to the McDonald's within campus ground, he groaned. He complained saying this was too cheap of a treat, to which Minho responded with a crunchy laugh. 

"I have class after this, I can't travel too far," Minho said.

"Then I'll order as much food as possible." Jisung studied the menu board seriously, eyebrows furrowed. Minho stood by him, doing the same and readying his wallet. Jisung stole sideways glances and then quickly recognized how handsome the senior's side profile was. Even when he was staying silent, face devoid of any expression, he was ultimately handsome.

"Decided yet?" Minho asked, turning to Jisung and startling him.

Minho told Jisung to find a table and wait there while he placed orders for both of them. Jisung thanked him several times before walking around the fast food chain space and settling at a corner table. Minho joined him not long afterwards with the piece of receipt in his grasp. 

"So you're older than me right? What year?" Jisung attempted to confirm as soon as Minho sat down.

"Yes, I'm in Year 2 Engineering."

Jisung made an O shape with his mouth. "As for me, I'm a freshman in Business Admin."

"So that's why you need to take Accounting module..."