Chapter 1: Prologue

MARIA'S POV

My name is Maria Simmons and I just turned 18 a few days ago. I used to live a 'normal' life with my mother and my father. We live in a small cottage in the forest, somewhere away from the public, however, I was able to get my education, no thanks to my Father's lectures and his strict rules about coming home straight from school and studying hard over the weekend either at home or at the library, when I managed to get his permission to stay out later. I tried so many times to sneak out of the cottage to hang out with my classmates but, it was no use, every time I tried to attempt an escape, I ended up getting caught by my father and he nearly threatened to lock my door and windows.

I reached the point to when I had enough of living that sheltered life until I discovered something about myself and my family that was gonna change my life forever. Let me start from the beginning, it all started on another day in school and after classes were over, I was in the library studying and working on my homework with my two best friends, Amelia and Jasmine.

"So you see, if you solve this problem like this," Jasmine said as she showed me the mathes formula to use for the upcoming exams. "And this will help you a lot easier."

"Thanks, Jazz," I spoke with a smile.

Jasmine Tompson was known as the straight-A student and the brainiac around here while Amelia was the friendly, sporty and kind person, she always looked out for me and Jasmine when things got tough, especially for me since my old man is always on my case for no reason.

"Hey, why don't we go for some ice cream later? my treat?" Amelia suggested.

I smiled at that idea and I thought about going until my phone started buzzing and I knew what that meant. I looked at the messages and, as usual, they're from my father.

Dad: "Where are u?"

Me: "I'm at the school library studying and finishing my homework."

Dad: "You were supposed to be home an hour ago!

Dad: "Get your butt back to the house right now or else I'm coming over there to drag you back!

Me: "All right, keep your hair on, I'm coming home now."

Jasmine and Amelia looked at me with worried looks and I sighed a little and told them.

"Sorry guys, I love to come along with you but, it's my father, again."

"Let me guess, he's commanding you to come home or else he'll drag you back kicking and screaming like last time?"

"Ugh, something like that," I told them as I gathered my stuff. "Sorry, girls, see ya."

I left the library and I headed straight home. I got the bus that leads to the stop near the woods and I went home. I got off the bus and I headed straight home. I walked through the woods and it sounded peaceful and beautiful as the sun began to set. Just then, a squirrel came out of the bushes and I smiled at it. I carefully knelt down after getting a peanut from my lunchbox since I didn't like nutty treats.

"Here you go, hungry?" I asked the squirrel before it cautiously came over to me.

I stayed perfectly still and then the squirrel took the peanut from my hand and then it ran off. I loved it when some of the skittish animals come up to me whether I have food or not. I got back to the cottage and I sighed a little. I didn't know why we lived in the forest that was a bit far away from the city, I mean don't get me wrong, when I was a child I used to think of this place like a fairytale home that you read out of books but, now that I'm older, I feel like this place is nothing more than a prison.