After about an hour of watching tv and trying to keep up, Chris' mom goes to sleep. She falls asleep with a small gun in her hand, sleeping on the couch cuddled up to every pillow in the house. Chris, Martin and I stay awake watching every update. 
Its now 6 in the morning, Martin looks like hes going to pass out at any moment. 
"This is getting crazy. Within an hour 1 zombie in HooverDam Canada went to 30 spread across 3 different cities." I sigh. 
"I just can't believe its actually happening. All this talk about a zombie apocolypse and now its happening" Chris says. 
"It hasn't exactly hit me that I could be eatin at any moment by something that use to be human"  I rub my arm. 
No one responds, we all just look at each other for a moment. A knock on the door sends us out of our quiet state. I look at Chris and we walk to the door. I look out the window but I can't make out who it is. 
Finally, Chris unlocks the dead bolt and opens the door. Its my mom. 
"Mom? What are you doing here?" I ask wide eyed. 
"Its your dad...he-he was bitin" shes in tears, I fall back a little and Chris catches me. "He told me to leave so he wouldn't hurt me when he turned. So I took his car and came here...its okay if I stay right?" 
"Of course mom, come in" I take her arm and slide her in. Chris shuts the door and locks the dead bolt. 
"This is all so crazy." she says through her tears. 
"How did dad get bitin" I ignore her statement. 
"Well...we didn't know anything about this for a while. We found out a little while ago, I had turned on the news and they were talking about it. Little did I know your father...he was outside taking out the trash. He came inside and said he had been bitin by some pale man. I showed him the television and he told me to leave, so I did. It was about 40 minutes ago. Who knows if hes a zombie now" she explains through her tears. 
"Mom, its all going to be okay. As long as we stay in doors." I rub her back. 
"Wheres Sarah?" she asks. 
"Shes sleeping" I point towards the old lady barley visible surronded by a dozen pillows. 
"May I sleep with her please. I know she would feel comfortable with some one next to her and so would I.." 
"Yes, of course mom" I sigh, she walks into the living room nudging Chris' mom to wake up, when she does she looks at my mom for a second before pulling her into the small fort she had made. I hear small faint crying coming from the pillows, along with whispers. Soon it is silent. 
"I think we should sleep to guys. Its nearly 7 in the morning. We need to keep our energy up in case a zombie gets in. We need to protect them" I say looking between the two woman laying on the couch and my two best friends. 
"Alright, I'll go get some blankets and we'll camp out my the two exits. Martin will sleep in the living room just in case and you and I will take the front and back doors" Chris says to me and then runs up stairs. Hes back down within a minute with a pile of blankets. He hands me one and then Martin. I go to the back door which is in the kitchen and lay out on the cold tile. Soon I am fast asleep with a small gun loaded in my hand. 

I wake to a loud banging sound coming from the oppostie door that I am laying at. I stand up as fast as possible and run to the door, I look through the window to view who it is, the gun still in my hand. My hand tigheting its grip so tight, Im sure my knuckles have turned white but I make no effort to look down at them. 
I look out the window and its a zombie, I must not open the door or let anyone else open it. 
The zombie is female, long shaggy black hair. Her face is pale and covered in blood. She is wearing a white dress with flowers, blood and bullet wounds scatter the white dress. Her arms are skinny and fragile, she continues to bang on the door. Her pale blue eyes meet mine and she lurches towards the window only to bang her head and drop to the ground. She gets back up but I close the curtain before I can see what happens, I wait a second and I don't hear the loud banging noise again. 
I am surprised no one has woken up from that. I know Martin and Chris are deep sleepers but my mom and Chris' mom should have woken up, the door is only a mere 10 meters from where they're sleeping. 
"What was that?" my mom asks from the kitchen, I hadn't notcied but she's sitting at the island sipping coffee from a medium blue coffee cup. 
"Nothing, just gun shots I suppose" I say trying not to scare her. 
"Whats going to happen?" she asks looking from me to her cup. 
"I don't know, but I promise I won't let anything happen to you mom. Not while I'm still alive" I touch her hand gently. "How bad do you miss dad?" 
"A lot. I have no idea what happened to him. I wonder, is he out eating random people to survive. Did he already get shot? Is he looking for me? How long ago did he turn?" 
I stay silent not wanting to answer any of those questions for her. 
"So much for traveling the world" she quietly laughs, I say nothing. 
I close the space between us and wrap my arms around her to comfort her. I can feel as she starts to cry, her body shaking, low moans come from her as she pushes her face into my shirt. She pulls away and her makeup is ruined, along with my jacket. It now has a fairly large make-up and tear stain. 
"Thank you Ryan, thank you for being here for me" she tries to smile but fails miserably wiping her eyes.