prompt

A guest who stays longer than expected. You must ask them to leave.

Sigh, that was the last of them.
House gatherings were simply too tiring.
There were just too many people and finally I had sent off the last of the guests.

Oh wait... There was one left.

Didn't she say she would be leaving by 5, it's 6 now, why is she still here?

Slowly I walked over.

Oh and she's crying.
I really don't want to be the one to do this.
Why is it always me?

I walk over and try to make myself look empathetic, it's not that I don't care, but I'm just too tired to.

I just tap her and ask what's wrong.
And she ended up crying even more. Yay.

Why do I always make them cry....

I wasn't the right person to go to but she was still in my house so I had to comfort her. Aish.

And the tears come rolling down, and I try to listen, because...

I'm always in the middle, listening to others, but no one, no one takes the time to listen to me.
Of course they aren't obligated to, but I aren't either, am I?
And they don't know that every word they say, leaves a little cut behind because I feel for them, but I want somebody to feel for me too.

On my birthday, somebody just approached me and asked me if I could listen to them.

NO NO IM BUSY.

But never do those words make it past my mouth, instead I greet them with a smile and ask them to sit and talk.

Of course, it really isn't their fault, but sometimes I just wish someone else would take over my role as the middleman, because I'm tired and there are just too many people.

And there are those people who just talk to me for that very reason. I may not even know them, but they'll come up to me and just want to talk.

Resisting the urge to shout that I wasn't their counselor was really hard.

Back to my guest, I look up and she's all ready to go, with a light smile on her face. She thanks me and walks out.

I just.... breakdown weeping.

I wept for those who believed in that which could not be.
I wept for those too naive to realise that the world was simply against them.
I wept because they believed that I could help when I knew nothing would change.
I wept because I've seen the darker side of humanity through all their stories, and yet they believed in the innate goodness of mankind.
I wept because I didn't want to be the middleman anymore.

But then I wiped my tears because the world still depended on me.
I smiled because there was no one else to.
And I continued to listen because no one would.
An hopefully, that little bit had brightened up someone's lives, even if it meant that there would be a thousand scars on my heart.

I'm updating way too frequently, nonsense written again, prompt barely used but I did use the word "birthday". I love perspective writing so much.