2. The Magic of Programming: Unpredictable

The chatter of the classroom was lively, Class A of the 6-11-Year-Olds' Level buzzing with excitement.

K.O. wanted to be prepared and was reading ahead for the next lesson. He caught Dendy doing something else, rummaging perhaps, in her hackpack.

"Aren't you gonna study, Dendy?" K.O. asked, facing her from his armchair.

"I have done adequately last night, K.O.," Dendy replied, not eyeing him.

"Oh!" Curious, "is something wrong with your hackpack?"

"Nothing of the sort," She continued. "In studying ahead last night, it got me thinking."

"Oh?"

"Yes, most especially about the unpredictability of life."

"Ah," K.O. then looked back at the open book in his hands, trying to make sense of the words that seemed to describe the lady from the book's pictures.

"How did you arrive at that lesson?"

"It's an old legend K.O.. Though it is one I am not familiar with, it is one that is easy to learn from."

"Well, I'm happy you got that figured out, Dendy!"

"Until Miss Quantum tries her worst again,"

"Yeah, that's true."

"Although, that should not be a problem!"

"Why?"

Before K.O. could reply, out came a knocking and a jolly "Ho ho ho!"

"Good morning, children!" Greeted Principal Claus, who walked into the room with a smile.

"Good morning, Principal Claus!" The students greeted back in glee, albeit out of sync.

"It has come to my attention that Miss Quantum won't be available to teach you kids some time,"

K.O. and Dendy perked up, suspicious after what happened the last time Miss Quantum was unavailable.

"She's quite ill, and she will take a long time to recover." Principal Claus continued. "Heeding the complaints from last time, we've decided to take a substitute from our own staff!"

Backing out to give way to the mystery teacher, "Children, please welcome Professor Crowe!"

From outside stepped in Professor Crowe, a giant bird with black feathers and long legs. He wore glasses with those dangling strings, as well as a white polo and an old-timey vest. He wore big brown shoes too. In his hand-like wings were a bunch of papers and books.

The students began to chatter amongst themselves in awe.

Crowe nodded at Principal Claus, who then left him at this new class.

"Good morning, children. My name is Dr. Edgar Crowe," He placed down his things on the desk, "But you can call me Professor Crowe. I am, after all, a professor of Lakewood Public."

The students felt intimidated by the aura of this new teacher—new, boring, bookish, and too old for them.

And yet, calmer, more patient, and friendlier than the air that Miss Quantum carried.

"If any of you heard of me, you'll be happy to know that I regularly teach certain classes for the 13-17 Year Olds' Level." He chuckled, "which means you kids have nothing to worry about!"

He then picked up one of the books on the desk and flipped the pages, "I know Miss Quantum specializes better in Science and Mathematics, but since I'm the teacher now, we'll be dabbing on more towards Language, Literature, and History!"