l.

786 wordsMAISIE

                                                                    786 words
MAISIE

I run the towel over the table, with in relief, straighten up, and smile. Done. And with 15 minutes to spare. I glance around the cafe just in cause I forgot anything.

Nothing

Nothing. I sit down at the newly cleaned table and reach into my bag and pull out my sketchbook. I've barely put pencil to paper when the bell above the door jingles and Mrs. Prince comes strutting in.
"Good afternoon Miss. Scott." She says primly.
"Good afternoon. Um... Mrs. Prince we're kind of closed."
She flicks her hand impressively, "I won't take long. I've got News!"
What else do you have? I think. Mrs. Prince is the town gossip. My father jokes that you do need to read the tiny newspaper in our town, just ask Mrs. Prince what's going on.
"While I tell you, will you be a dear and pack up some of the leftover pastries?" She asks.
"Sure."
She follows me to the counter.
"Well, you've probably heard about the West brothers so- " She starting I interrupt her.
"Who are the West brothers?"
"Who are the West brothers? But surely you know about them?"
"Sorry, I don't."
"Oh. Well, they're town boys that are coming to live in Ashdale. And you will not believe this. One of the brothers, I can't remember which, is blind! Blind Maisie."
Wow. That is news. Not the part of one of the brothers being blind. The part that they're coming to live in Ashdale. People barely move it, most move out.
"I just hope that he doesn't fall off a cliff and die. That would ruin Ashdale's reputation."