❃Chapter Twelve❃

Asake leaned against the cool rail, looking out at the blue water. In her hand was the flower she picked when she was leaving. She was twisting it around and around in her hands, thinking. The crescent shaped moon reflected on the waves, and she wished she could live on the moon. It would be better than to be here where she wasn't sure if she was doing the right thing. Up there, she would be happy and at peace with herself. As long as she was down here, she didn't think she could find happiness anywhere. 

Someone cleared their throat behind her. Fear gripped her heart as she spun around, unsheathing her sword. The flower lazily fell to the metal ground, unnoticed. The tip of her sword pressed against Zuko's chest; fire burned in his eyes as he stared at her.

"Zuko!" she said, breathing out a sigh. She dropped the sword to her side; embarrassment crept up her neck in the form of a blush. "You scared me."

"I'm sorry," he said softly. The fire in his eyes died out when he crossed his arms over his chest. He looked a little uncomfortable standing there with her.

"Do you want to join me?"

"Sure." Zuko settled next to her, resting his elbows on the rail next to hers. Asake could feel a faint heat from where his arm was next to her, but she didn't move away from him. "Do you think we'll find the Avatar?"

"I don't know," she said truthfully, her voice low. For some reason, she felt like she needed to whisper. Something about the way he was standing there told her that he had something else on his mind. She hesitated before saying, "Maybe we aren't meant to find him."

Zuko stiffened next to her. His muscles tensed up, and he let out an angry breath. She knew she made a mistake by saying that, but she had to get it off of her chest. No matter how angry he got, she wouldn't back down from her beliefs. 

"It doesn't matter if we aren't meant to find him or not." Zuko clenched his fists as he glared down at the pale waves. His voice was hard as he said, "We have to."

"I understand," she said, nodding. Her shoulders dropped; of course she wouldn't be able to tell him how she truly felt about the Avatar and what they were doing. She wasn't strong enough to tell him how she really felt. "Really, I do. But . . ."

"But what, Asake?"

"Nothing," she said, letting a breath out. She didn't want to make him any angrier than he already was. "I don't want to talk about the Avatar anymore. I don't want to fight with you right now." Zuko stayed silent, but he nodded once. His hands were still clenched together, though. "Hey, I'm sorry for leaving you at Kyoshi Island. I just . . . I didn't feel okay burning down an innocent town. And I'm sorry for Iroh and I making fun of you the other day."

"They weren't really innocent because they were hiding the Avatar," Zuko said curtly. He shrugged stiffly. "I'm used to the teasing, anyway."

"I won't do it again. I promise." She looked over at him. He wouldn't meet her gaze at all; he continued glaring down at the water. "You seem better than when you left Iroh and I the other day. Are you okay with me being here?"

"I guess I'm satisfied with Uncle's decision." He glanced over at Asake but quickly looked away when he saw her staring at him. That awkward air rose up between the two of them again. "I'm sorry for overreacting."

"It's okay," Asake said, nodding. She looked him over and saw his dual swords situated on his back. He rarely ever had those out; she thought they were just decorations that he had hanging on his wall. "Why do you have your swords with you?"

"I was going to practice with them," he said, turning to face her. Zuko reached back and pulled them out of the sheath on his back. Her breath caught in her throat when she saw the beauty of his swords. The metal glinted in the soft moonlight, flashing across her eyes. Zuko flashed her a hint of a smile and asked, "Do you want to learn how to use them?"