❃Chapter Twenty Four❃

After traversing through the frozen tundra, Asake and Zuko finally found an oasis where they could rest. It had taken a lot to get here. They had to swim through the freezing water; they nearly drowned in said water; she almost froze to death once they got out of the water. Zuko had to spend five minutes heating Asake up with a small fire before they could start traveling again. 

She was glad that they had found this oasis. It was nice and warm inside. But while they were resting here, a few people entered the oasis. She had no idea who one of them was, but she knew that the Avatar and his friend had joined them. 

Now, her and Zuko were sitting in the bushes right behind the three people, watching as the Avatar entered the Avatar State. He was sitting in front of the small pond with his back to them. So far, nothing was happening.

"Is there any way we can help?" the white haired girl asked. 

"What are we doing?" Asake asked Zuko quietly. She made sure that her voice didn't echo around them. "Why are we waiting?"

"We have to wait for the perfect time to strike. Otherwise, we won't get the Avatar."

She sighed. She didn't want to wait. What if Zhao came? She didn't want to see him at all. Unless he was dead. That was the only time she wanted to see him. It would be even better if she had been the one to kill him, but she doubted she could do that.

A shout from the Avatar startled Asake, and she nearly fell out of the bush she was crouching in. Zuko grabbed onto her arm, tugging her back to him. Her back was pressed against his chest. The bush rustled, but hopefully it wasn't loud enough to alert the Avatar and his friends that they were there. 

"What are you doing?" Zuko hissed in her ear. 

Asake shook her head angrily. "I'm sorry that I got scared."

He scoffed. He didn't let go of her arm, though. Instead, he kept her safely tucked away in his arms, probably to make sure that she wouldn't fall out of the bush again. Either way, she enjoyed the feeling of his arms around her. She doubted that it would ever happen again.

The same blue glow that they saw way back in the Southern Water Tribe slowly made its way back to Asake and Zuko. "He's in the Avatar state," Zuko whispered, shifting on his feet. He took his arms away from her. "You stay here."

"What? No!" 

She shook her head and jolted after him. He threw himself in front of the Water Tribe girl that had been traveling with the Avatar. "Well, aren't you a big girl now?" Zuko asked with a sneer when he saw her. 

Asake trailed behind him as the Water Tribe girl faced Zuko. Her face showed disbelief that he had found her. Zuko crossed the footbridge toward the Avatar and his friends, saying, "Yes! Hand him over, and I won't have to hurt you."

The white haired girl ran off, so Asake turned toward the Water Tribe girl as well. The three of them got in fighting stances. She reached toward her waist and groaned when she realized she didn't have her sword. She would have to use firebending against the girl. She hoped she was good enough to help Zuko.

Zuko launched himself forward, firing several blasts of fire. The Water Tribe girl blocked them, so Asake sent a fire ball toward her. However, her aim was off, and Zuko had to jump to the side to dodge her blast of fire.

"I told you to stay back!" he yelled to Asake, his gaze on her. He glared at her.

Asake opened her mouth to yell at Zuko, to tell him that the Water Tribe girl had hurled water at him, but she was too late. It knocked into him, and he fell to the ground with a thud. Asake sent flares toward the girl before jumping toward Zuko to make sure he was okay.