02: Battle

When everything is peaceful, expect that something will go wrong. That's just what life is about.

And that's what happened.

And it was just their luck that Cyclone was deathly afraid of this particular enemy.

Snake.

But not just any snake. 

It's an abnormally large python.

"It's a good thing Thorn isn't here or he'll probably be screaming already," Cyclone said in a small voice, the color completely drained from his face.

Jolyn looked at her best friend in concern. It was a rare sight to see the wind elemental displaying emotions other than happiness and excitement. And seeing him wide-eyed with terror just rubbed her off in a very uncomfortable way.

"Cyclone?" she said in a similarly small voice. "Just so you know, I do not have powers."

The python hissed in a distance, closing on them quickly.

"Run," Cyclone whispered before bolting away.

Jolyn jumped as a blur of blue and white went past her. She took one look at the giant hissing reptile and decided to follow her best friend's lead.

It was no use. Sure, she was fast and agile due to her small figure (sorry Lynnie) but the reptilian monster was faster and soon enough, she found herself wrapped up in a coil by the snake's gigantic scaly tail.

She couldn't move much as her hands and feet were trapped in the coil, and she could only move her head. So she did the one thing that any rational and sane person would do in that situation.

She screamed.

A loud, piercing, and agonizing scream ripped out from her throat that echoed throughout the neighborhood. It was a big surprise that she could scream that loud since her body wasn't exactly...

Nevermind.

Cyclone was alreadgianty a few feet ahead of the monster but stopped when he heard Jolyn scream. He slowly turned around and saw his best friend getting squeezed by the giant reptile's tail. Now, the wind elemental only fears two things: reptiles, and seeing his loved ones die. Unfortunately for him, he was facing both.

"JOLYN!" he screamed, running back to the direction he came from. One thing about him is that his fear of losing someone is greater than his fear of other things. Including the wrath of his brother Quake. And he would do anything, ANYTHING, to prevent that from happening.

And that's what he did.

He threw spheres of wind at the reptile but it did little to faze the monster. Heck, he even made a big one and threw it at the creature, but he only made it angrier.

Jolyn was still screaming in fear as the giant python opened its mouth to swallow her. Cyclone felt himself get angry. Angry at himself for running away, angry at Jolyn for freezing up, and angry  at the giant reptile for interrupting their friendly date (is it really though?) and daring to hurt his best friend.

So he used his power to do something he swore to never use to anyone.

He made a sphere around the creature's head and slowly emptied it with air. Most creatures won't survive without air, and this monster was no exception. Soon enough, the giant python's grip loosened and it dropped to the ground, dead.

Cyclone caught Jolyn in a wind vortex and gently lowered her to the ground. The next thing he knew was getting tackled to the ground by a small figure, who was sobbing and hugging him tightly.

"Thank you," Jolyn whispered. "If it wasn't for you, I would have been dead."

Cyclone just wrapped his arms around her head and hugged her just as tight. "I can't lose you, Jolyn. I just... can't."

He planted a kiss on the top of her head. "I'm sorry for running away, for abandoning you. I just... I couldn't..." he broke off, choking on a tear.

"It's okay, Cyclone. I'm here. You saved me."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A little bit of angst towards the end cause I can't help it. uwu 

Sorry Lynnie