2

"Nebulae! Neb! You're staying at my place tonight!" says Colt. He is just as exuberant as usual.

    "That's great," I mumble. We do this often, but it still proves a shock to sleep next to a boy, even one I've known for three years. 

    "We're having pizza."

    "Pepperoni?" I ask.

    "Of course, we are cultured people. I disregard any other person who has no aversion to meat who doesn't eat pepperoni."

    I snort. "Do you disregard your Aunt Susan? She only likes cheese pizza, and she isn't vegetarian or vegan."

    He scoffs.  "We don't speak with that side of the family. We still accept consolation Christmas presents, though."

    "Ah, but of course."

    He nods. I can't hold back the snickers anymore. They come tumbling from my mouth like a cat out of too-tight arms. 

    Colt covers his mouth with his hand, but I can see the telltale corners of his mesmerizing smile peeking out from his hand-shield.

    Eventually we fully break down into laughter.

    "When's your dad coming?" I ask, after the aftershocks have died down.

    "He should be here…. Now!"

    "Very on time. Five points for that."

    "What do those points count towards? I need to know, Nebulae," Colt asks.

    "'Get used to disappointment.' -The Man In Black, The Princess Bride."

    Colt laughs. I laugh. His dad is here now.