Time to Leave

It saddens me greatly that I no longer dream. I go to bed and all I see is black. In my sleep, I don't have to worry of what would come the following day and what could have been. There is no room in my mind for such things. Despite my melancholy, my sleep is my escape. All I can truly think about when I'm awake is the life that I have lived, protecting my sister, and surviving.

   Pushing my depressing thoughts aside, I wake up my sister. “Lisa! Lisa! Wake up!” I whisper-yell at my sister. A groan escapes her discolored and cracked lips. I decide shaking her would do tge trick. “Lisa! Wake up right now!” 

   “I’m up!” Lisa bolts up

   “Shush or they will hear us! Now, get dressed quickly. We have to take our leave as soon as possible.” I say with great urgency. “Once you are dressed, meet me by the door.”

    As I walk to the front door, I begin to think of how my sister and I will finally be liberated. Even if we have to stay in hiding, we will be freer than we have ever been since the war began.

   “Okay. I’m ready.” Lisa says, taking a glance at me. “Wait…,” Lisa begins, looking me up and down. “Where are our bread and water? Did you not pack them?” Lisa asks incredulously.

   “No, I did not pack bread or water. I didn’t pack anything for that matter. Carrying a bag will make it easier to be seen by the guards and will slow us down. We will, instead, find food in the forest.” I state.

   “Fine. I guess your reasoning is not unfounded .” Lisa says in a faux  pompous fashion.

“I’m glad you find my logic rational your majesty,” I say with a even more fake tone of gleeful pride. “Now, let’s get a move on. If we want to live another day, we have to leave now.” I say with a strict tone, changing my expressions faster than the speed of light.

    I take a hold of Lisa’s hand and begin to drag her out the door. Since there are quite a bit of tall piles of people’s belongings, staying out of sight is quite easy. However, the closer we got to the gate, the more open and vulnerable we were. Fortunately, the sun is above the horizon, so there are plenty of shadows that will hide our figures from the Nazis. 

   “Lisa! Follow the shadows and crouch closely to the ground so that we can stay out of sight.” I direct.

   “Good thinking!” says Lisa.

    We both crept closer to the ground until we reached the gate. “Lisa, you can go first and I'll follow,” I tell Lisa. 

    I begin to hold the loose part of the barb wire gate so that Lisa doesn’t get scratched. I remember how it was Mama holding the loose part of the gate for us only just a year ago when we first escaped the ghetto.