Goodbye Mama

Mama woke Lisa and me up early in the morning so that we can get dressed. With Mama rushing us, we were barely able to put on what were once considered shoes. When I finally got the chance to ask Mama what was the matter, Mama had burst into tears. Mama said, through her sobs, that there were rumors of an impending massacre and that Lisa and I must leave right that moment. Apparently, before my family and I were taken to the Slonim ghetto, Mama had asked a Christian neighbor to take care of me and Lisa in case anything happened. The Christian neighbor said that she would shelter us so Mama decided that we would be with the neighbor instead of staying in the ghetto.

    Mama took us to the gate and held up the loose end so that my little sister and I could pass. Once my sister and I were out of the ghetto, we, instinctively, took off our yellow stars. Those disgusting patches that signed we were Jews, lower beings, not humans.  With that, we ran and that was the last time I saw my mother alive. 

    At the Christian neighbor’s house, we asked her to let Lisa and me stay but the neighbor refused. She said that the rumors were true and there was to be a mass shooting. No "true" Aryan would be seen with Jews like us. She would be killed if she were caught. With that, the lady forced my sister and me out of her house and sent us out to the forest.

   As we were hiding in the forest, my sister and I came across a meadow where the Jews of the Slonim ghetto were stripped naked of all their belongings and were put into groups that had German soldiers guarding them. The Jews were then placed into three pits where they were shot dead. I remember the screams and cries of my people. I remember how they pushed and fought and ran. Oh, how futile their attempts were. I think those that fought knew fighting wasn't going to get them anywhere but they felt the need to die with at least trying to stop the Nazis. I think it brought them a little bit of peace.
   I had looked all around me and saw blood. Blood was everywhere. Naked bodies were strewn into deep graves. Babies... dead. Children... dead. Fathers... dead. Mothers... dead. Elders... dead. They were all dead.

    Not being able to withstand any more of the horror that laid before me, I grabbed Lisa’s hand and with all my might, ran. A forest ranger stopped Lisa and me but I refused to die just yet. I told the man that Lisa and I were in the forest, collecting wood for the harsh winter that was occurring. Unfortunately, the ranger saw the meadow where the Jews were killed and knew that Lisa and I were Jews. With his new understanding, the ranger captured Lisa and me. The ranger took us to where the rest of the Slonim Jews were marching slowly to the pits to be murdered and forced Lisa and me into a line of Jews. 

    Quickly, an avalanche of thoughts bombarded my mind. I know. Staying in this line means a sure death. Lisa and I are going to die. We are going to be naked bodies on top of other naked bodies! Our blood is going to be mixed with the blood of the other Jews! We, as Jews, are one in the eyes of the Nazi’s. We are just demons ruining their perfect little German race. Nevermind how they view us, Lisa and I must live. But, how? Will we be shot down as soon as we run? No! We will not just be unidentifiable bodies. We... Will... Survive!

    Not thinking any further, I reached for Lisa’s hand and screamed, “Run!” We sprinted toward the open field. It felt as if I wasn’t touching the ground. In my mind, Lisa and I were flying. The ranger threw his ax at my leg, however, I couldn’t feel a thing. I was high on adrenaline. 

  For some reason, the German soldiers didn’t shoot at us. Huh, I guess we are not worth the effort then. Good. My sister and I ran all the way back to the town of Slonim. As we ran, little children screamed at us chanting, “Jewesses, Jewesses, you took off your yellow stars! The Nazis will kill you! The Nazis will kill you!”

    Out of exhaustion, Lisa and I collapsed at a barn. A Christian woman came across Lisa and me in her barn and took us to her house. The lady wrapped my leg, fed us, and allowed Lisa and me to stay until the Germans were done killing my neighbors and friends.

    With the hope of seeing Mama again, Lisa and I left the Christian woman, expressing our gratitude, and set out for the Slonim ghetto. When we got back to the ghetto, we came to the knowledge that Mama had died. I felt a sharp pain in my heart and cryed with everything inside my soul when I heard. I love you, Mama.