You'll Make It

"What do you mean, Wyatt isn't going? He's our solider! We need him," Lucy demanded. Her fingers twisted the silk sleeves in an attempt to make them poof further. Once released the yellow fabric drooped like a scorched sunflower petal. "What about Rittenhouse?"

"He's not your only soldier," Agent Christopher replied, looking up from the file in her hand. "Flynn is fully capable of stepping into that roll. If I recall correctly, Rufus told him to 'Flynn it up'."

"I don't even know overheard me that day or why someone decided to write it down. It wasn't even my best quip," Rufus added as he smoothed down his tailcoat's wide collar. "I got way better quips."

Flynn rolled his eyes as he worked on buttoning his waistcoat. He obviously did not want to get into this weird bit of banter. Even still, there was a comeback. "You flatter yourself," he remarked in return. He couldn't help it. The words just slipped out. "You and I aren't really all that different. We've both made history books for the unexpected."

"Yeah, well. Don't flatter yourself, either. There's one difference between and me. I make this look good," Rufus countered, dusting off his shoulder.

"So where exactly are we going?" Jiya asked while fussing her white elbow-length gloves. "And why is Wyatt sitting this one out?" Changing the topic seemed like the best idea right about now. She could just imagine the two of them getting into a war of words that lasted so long that they lost the Mothership.

"December 1760. Berkshire, England," Denise explained, closing the file and laying it out the counter in case anyone else wanted to review the documents. "George III was King of England at the time, Lucy?"

"This is early in his reign. He'd been King barely two months at that time," Lucy added. "Even though he'd succeeded his father, he hadn't even been crowned. That wouldn't happen until September 1761, when he also married the beloved Charlotte of Mecklenburg."

"Beloved?" Rufus asked as he finished slipping into his high heeled boots.

"At first, yeah. She founded orphanages, hospitals for mothers-to-be, and schools for women. She was a patron of the arts and botany. Queen Charlotte was ahead of her time by a couple of centuries."

"Wow. She's just a modern day woman stuck in the 18th century. We sure she wasn't a female Marty McFly, who happened to get stuck in the wrong year?"

"Yeah, she was. In historical documents, it's heavily implied that she basically had to take over running England when King George III's illness incapacitated him," Lucy agreed, choosing to ignore the time travel quip. Anything was possibly. "Now, what about Wyatt? Is there a reason isn't he coming? While Flynn makes everything more entertaining..."

"Thank-you for finally admitting that, Lucy," Flynn interrupted as he pushed the rolling steps up to the Lifeboat. "I always knew that, but it's nice to get some validation every now and then." When Lucy rolled her eyes, Flynn just grinned.

"Connor is insisting on initiating vacation days. Every one of you will sit out a mission from here on out," Agent Christopher snapped.

"Did that response come a little too quickly?" Jiya whispered to Rufus, lifting the hem of her skirt as she waddled over to the time machine. She didn't want to trip over the dress's creamed milk fabric.

"It was quicker than the Millennium Falcon or the Enterprise," Rufus agreed while escorting Jiya up the steps and into the Lifeboat. He followed right behind with Lucy and Flynn entering after him.

Buckled in, Rufus input the data and braced for the time jump. Just in case something went wrong, he kept his fingers on the buttons as they moved through time and space and whatever else they moved through. Was it necessary? Probably not, but it was better safe than sorry. As they landed, Flynn grumbled about the seats needing shock absorbers and him needing a helmet.