Chapter 4

Vamiro did not stop until she had reached her house and slammed her front door shut.

There, she leaned on the door, head and heart pounding.

"Tatara. His name is Tatara!" she exclaimed in disbelief.

Vamiro was not alien to the various stories that were told about Tatara.

The man was a living legend.

He was rumoured to stay near the outskirts of Pasa, and was very was well known for his kind nature.

Many a times Vamiro would hear the oldest women in her village discussing an issue that another village had to face, and then one of them exclaiming: "See! I told you that whenever there is a problem, Tatara will miraculously appear at the right moment."

Vamiro used to marvel at his ability to be able to bring all the villages together regarding at least one topic. The villages you see, were not each other's enemies, but just liked to stay within themselves and did not encourage interaction with outsiders.

But when it came to Tatara, every village wanted a piece of him. So, they would resort to calling him as a guest of honour to most of their festivals.

He was rumoured to be simply dressed in the staple traditional way, and the only potentially 'special' or flashy ornament that he would carry was his wooden sword.

"His wooden sword. I thought that it was just a silly joke. But he was indeed wearing it today. Does it really have magical powers the same way they say it has?" Vamiro thought.

What she failed to admit though, was that this was not the only 'silly joke' she thought was circulated about Tatara.

Often she would think: "So strong and powerful yet humble and kind? Ha! This must be some weird propaganda!"

But after meeting him today, Vamiro was deeply affected by the way Tatara truly was. He was much beyond whatever people said about him, and the rumors were not even close to doing him any justice. For she had not heard anyone talking about how smooth and attractive the sound of his vocal cords vibrating was!

And his eyes! So captivating, that she was seeing them everywhere. In the dark midnight sky filled with twinkling stars, in midst the waves of the vast ocean, and even on closing her eyes. Those pair of eyes would simply not leave her alone.

What Vamiro also did not want to admit was, when she saw and experienced how politely Tatara talked, how well built his form was, his rich voice, and his enthralling eyes; she did not see the legendary Tatara that everybody talked about, but her dream man. Her heart wanted to experience these things about him everyday, but her mind knew that this wasn't possible.

Since she was from Lapati, and Tatara was from Pasa. Both were from separate villages, and if there was one thing that all villages agreed upon, it was that inter-village marriage was simply unacceptable.

So Vamiro tried to convince herself that Tatara was too creepy for her liking.

She knew that forgetting him would be the wisest option, but her heart just couldn't let her ignore what he said to her while leaving: ".... I will wait for you on this rock tomorrow, please do come."

Tatara could not sleep.

"Vaamiiro" He breathed.

After listening to her mellifluous voice, that was all he could hear. In the roar of the surf, the whoooosh of the wind, and the swishshsh of the trees, all he heard, was Vamiro's beautiful, soulful song.

Eventually, sleep took him. But his mind would not let thoughts about Vamiro go. So, Tatara dreamt of a dreamland filled with Vamiro, deep inside wondering if she would come to meet him tomorrow.

The next day's rising sun, however did not bring either of them any respite.

While one's mind and heart were busy functioning on a thread of hope, the other's mind, body and soul were busy arguing among themselves regarding their plan of action in the evening.

No one seemed to be winning this argument, since on one side were the heart and the soul and on the other hand were the mind, and Vamiro herself.

When the noon sun brightly shined and burned above the village, it seemed that Vamiro's side was winning.

But as the noon turned to sunset, Vamiro found herself once again, throwing all logic out of the window, and sprinting towards the beach.

Tatara had been avoiding everybody since morning. He really hoped that no one would have noticed, because at least according to him, it sure was rude to avoid people in help.

But he had been truly helpless.

When Tatara had realized that he might get caught up in helping someone and might not make it on time to meet Vamiro on time, he quickly thought of a way to avoid any such jobs.

Granted, there was a probability of Vamiro not showing up, or rather, close to no probability of Vamiro showing up, but Tatara did not want to leave any chance. For it had only been 24 hours and Tatara's heart said Vamiro's name with each heartbeat.

And not to mention that his soul had announced Vamiro as its owner, and his mind and thoughts were dedicated only to Vamiro.

To say that Tatara was smitten would be the understatement of probably....time immemorial.

And as the sun moved from east to west, Loverboy became from hopeful to hopeless.

By the time it was evening, Tatara could not hold himself back any longer, and headed towards the beach where he met Vamiro yesterday, even though sunset was at least 2 hours to go.

There, Tatara waited.

The light grew dim as did his hope, and the shadows slowly became darker.

Tatara would every once in a while look towards Lapati, where he knew that his beloved Vamiro lived.

As the sun began touching the horizon however, Tatara almost lost all his hope.

"One last time. I'll look back just this one last time, and if I don't see her, I'll leave, and never look back."

After coming to this firm resolve in his mind, Tatara looked back, one final time.

And there he saw:

His beacon of hope: Vamiro.

A/N
Wooohooo!!!!! We have now crossed the 70% mark!!!