iv.

Narrator's POV

Tom knocked at the door of Y/n's room and slowly entered, peeking if she's sleeping or not. She had her eyes closed so he just brought a chair to her bed, sat down and waited, holding her hand. After a while, he couldn't bear it anymore and thinking she's asleep, he spoke up.

"Oh gosh, Y/n, I'm so sorry. This is my fault too. I left you and wasn't here for you when you needed a friend. If I told you if I only told you that day. Maybe it would end up differently." A tear escaped Tom's eye as he laid his head on y/n's hand he was holding. Y/n opened her eyes and turned her head to see Tom's curly head: "If you told me what?" Tom raised his head in shock, eyes on Y/n's face, lips slightly parted. "Y/n" left his lips more like a silent relieved "thank you, God" and without further hesitation hugged Y/n as tight as possible.

"Y/n, you're awake. Thank, God, I was so afraid. Don't ever do this to me again. I thought I lost you for good. You have no idea." Y/n was smiling happily, she hadn't felt this loved for so long, not even with Daniel, and was glad she's close to Tom once again. She really missed him but she hadn't realised it until yesterday. "Oh, Tommie, I missed your hugs." She chuckled. "I missed you." Tom murmured in Y/n's crook of her neck, his beard tickling her a bit. "Please, Y/n, dear, tell me what happened?" Tom continued, now looking directly in her eyes.

Y/n's face dropped, she lowered her head, staring at the hospital blanket covering her legs. "Daniel and I *sigh* It's over." "What? How?" Tom looked shocked but not disappointed. "It just didn't work." Tom laid his hand on the side of Y/n's face, stroking her cheek with the thumb. "Don't be sad about him. He didn't deserve you. He's such an idiot for letting you go so easily." Tom was smiling so sweetly, it made Y/n blush hard.

They were staring into each other's eyes, smiling, enjoying the moment. After a while, Tom cleared his throat and spoke up: "Y/n, you asked me what I wanted to tell you. Do you remember last week of secondary school when we were sitting in the cafeteria and I told you about RADA?" When Y/n nodded, he continued: "There was actually something else I had on my mind, something what has been on my mind since our days at school and what never faded. Y/n, I... I love you. Oh, God, I finally said it! I love you so much. Please, be mine."

Tom felt like the weight of the world fell from his heart when Y/n's lit up. And then, those words left her lips. "Tommie, I always was and always will be yours. I love you too." Tom couldn't be happier, his heart racing. He laid his forehead on hers, both of them on the verge of crying from happiness. "Please, Tom, kiss me already." And he did, giving everything he was holding for so many years to the one kiss he was dreaming about since they met. Suddenly, Y/n pushed Tom away, holding him by his shoulders, and started shaking with him. "Mister! Mister!" Tom was confused. "Y/n, what are you saying? I'm your Tom."

"Mister! Mister! You need to wake up." Tom opened his eyes, looking around confused. A sister was standing in front of him, trying to wake him up. "What happened?" Tom asked, rubbing his eyes. "You fell asleep while waiting." Tom's brain started slowly realising what happened. *Oh no, it was just a dream.* "Where's Y/n. Is she alright? Can I see her?" He swiftly stood up, eager for answers.

"I'm sorry, sir, but I have to inform you that unfortunately Y/n Y/l/n didn't survive. We pumped out the content of her stomach, however, the toxins got already into the liver which collapsed and then the kidneys..." The whole world fell silent. Tom slowly sat down, processing everything. He saw the sister was talking but wasn't able to listen, his head spinning around. He was late. The sister has already left but he was sitting there with an aching heart and two the most dangerous words "what" and "if".