Encounter - Tanjiro 🌪

Requested By @amamiharu

WARNING: Coarse language and violence up ahead

WARNING:
Coarse language and violence up ahead

——

Years after the events that transpired in the red light district, a familiar boy, now a fully grown man, strolls through the city's buzzing streets. The same hanafuda -like earrings danced through the midnight air as his checkered haori flowed gracefully behind him, creating an aura of great esteem that followed him closely whenever he went by.

Suddenly, the man stopped, his body tensing. His eyes widened as his nose caught the whiff of something familiar, a distant yet unforgettable aroma, one from a long time ago. Sharply, he shot up, his orbs darting swiftly across the many faces that surrounded him. His mind in disarray as it began to frantically flip through his memories, page after page as it desperately tried to find the source of the scent.

He closed his eyes, he knew for sure. How could he ever forget?

He could never forget.

Bolting through the streets, the man apologises to the people for his rudeness, leaping at an incredible height to sprint on top of the buildings. Effortlessly, he hopped from one roof to another, using his extraordinary sense of smell to accurately pinpoint a location.

He smiled. He could feel the fragrance getting stronger, and a fluttering sensation welled up in his stomach as his memories became increasingly more clear. He was getting excited. He couldn't remember the last time he was this excited in years.

The man stopped at a clearing, a square that was filled with countless stalls, packed and crowded full of people who were hungrily searching to satisfy their own desires. He could barely hear his own thoughts above the murmur, and the yells that were blaring left and right were enough to make anyone feel dizzy.

Jumping down from the roof, he began to scour through the seemingly endless stream of people, his nose detecting so many different scents that it was almost overwhelming. However, one scent stood out the most, and he vigorously slipped in between the cracks to find it.

He paused. No longer feeling the sensation of bodies pressing up against his own, he realised that he had found himself in a small pocket inside the market. There were not a lot of people and only a few stalls, and he noticed a girl standing by herself inside one of them. Her h/c hair framed her face perfectly as she stared out into the open. Her e/c eyes distant, as if she were lost in a daze, enveloped by her own thoughts. Tanjiro always knew that you would grow into a beautiful young woman and he cursed himself for not seeing you any sooner. It's been too long.

Way too long.

"H-hey, y/n! It's been a while..." He could feel himself getting nervous. He couldn't remember the last time he was this nervous around a girl.