TWO - The Pin

YOUR POINT OF VIEW

Gale and I sit anxiously in the small waiting room, just outside of the rooms the tributes are being held in momentarily. Close to each other as we can possibly be without being suspicious, we find strength in each other's touch. 

Gale's warmth reminds me of home, and all things good in this shitty district. All things I've ever found safety in, all things I've ever known.

Mrs. Everdeen and Prim are suddenley pulled out of Katniss's room by a peacekeeper, their time is up. At almost the exact moment, Mr. and Mrs. Mellark are pulled out of the room their son is in. 

I mourn for them all, only one can come home. And Katniss and Peeta are both my friends, I have no idea who I'm rooting for. If I had any choice in the matter, they both would come home.

Prim is in tears, still distraught since the Reaping. I give her and Mrs. Everdeen a quick hug before they leave, words cannot express my condolences right now but a hug will at least assure them I'm with them.

"I'm so sorry" I hug Peeta's father next, who looks practically like a greying older version of his son. His wife is already gone, she lacks the tender heart the male Mellarks hold.

"Thank you, (Y/n)." He says, as I pull away from him. "But we can only hope that fate will bring my boy back again." His ice eyes melt to tears.

"Indeed." My voice is a whisper, hoping inside that fate will bring both of my friends home.

Mr. Mellark then leaves with his head hung low, off to the bakery to cook his woes away.

I join Gale's side once more, and we both both walk over the door Katniss waits behind. "One at a time." The peacekeeper barks, and so we part ways.

"Go ahead." I tell Gale, squeezing his hand once firmly. "I'm going to say good luck to Peeta."

The peacekeeper let's Gale in, who gives me one last somber glance.

"You'll have to wait for the other." The peacekeeper tells me, there are already people in." And so I wait, only a moment, for whomever may be saying goodbye to my blond friend.

It turns out to be his two brothers, both tall and strapping blonds like their younger brother, yet totally different at the same time. 

Mason is the eldest, who has always been like an older brother to me. He looks all scary and gruff most of the time, but he's really just a big teddy bear. I think this is the first time I've ever seen him in tears, but instead of saying a thing, he just ruffles my hair like usual, and continues on his way home punching the doorway upon his exit.

Noah, the middle Mellark child, shakes his head at his older brother. "He and dad aren't taking it too well."  He says, voice a whisper, eyes as watery as the ocean.

"I can imagine why." My eyes drift from the open exit to the boy in front of me, the boy I used to hold dear. "The question is, are you alright though?" I know he doesn't often share his true feelings with others.

Even though it's awkward between the two of us after everything that's happened, my handsome ex shakes his head and answers truthfully. "No, no I'm not." 

I rest a hand on his arm, I haven't touched him in months. "Want to talk about it?" 

He revels in my warmth a moment, but shakes his head again. "No."

The exact reason we ended things only four months ago after dating for a year, we both suck at our communication skills. 

"He'll be happy to see you."  Noah sends me one last look as he goes to depart after his older brother. "He'll be happy to know you too are rooting for him." And then he's gone, and I am let into Peeta's holding cell.