Chapter 1 - His Servent

"Y/N!" You heard your name being called by your master, a cold rush draining through you as you approach his quarters knocking gently

"My lord?" you blurted out, not wanting to waste any time.

"The witcher will be arriving today, see to it that he doesn't fuck it up" He grovelled "And don't forget your chores!"

"Yes my lord" you answered promptly.

You had already been up for a couple of hours but just only now the sun was reaching into the windows illuminating the cold stone interior. You made your way to the kitchen preparing your masters meal, "hopefully this is to his liking" you sighed.

After delivering the meal without a scolding you returned to your duty's around the manor, knowing if they were not done a punishment would be waiting to be delivered.

A knock could be heard throughout the halls, you hadn't even finished your morning duties. You rushed to put away your cleaning supplies and promptly headed towards the front door, your boots tapping across the flooring. Exhaling gently you reached for the handle of the grand door.

The door swayed open, letting a fresh breeze brush past you. As your eyes adjusted to the golden rays you could see a broad-shouldered man stood in front of you, arms gently placed across his chest as two swords protruded from his back.

"Good morning miss, I'm here for the contract" A gruff voice announced. You looked up at the man's face, his amber catlike eyes bore into yours as you quickly evaded his gaze.

"Yes, of course. Right this way", you led the witcher to your master's study knocking firmly. After a quick exchange, you let yourself in with the witcher close behind. Your master explained the situation to the witcher and for the job to be done promptly.

"Y/N will tell you any further details if you need them, won't you" the man snapped his attention towards you, as you quickly replied and bowed your head towards him.

"And what about my reward?" the witcher questioned, raising an eyebrow as it was not mentioned yet.

"We will discuss that after the job is complete" he declared.

"Please follow me" you gestured towards the door as the witcher stood from his chair, his fists clenched as he exited the room "I will show you to the cellar".

The two of you walked in silence, as you approached the door the nerves started to kick in. You looked at the cellar door, the key clenched between your fingers.

"So, what monster am I dealing with" the witcher questioned, his voice making you tense.

"I-uh, it" you stammered trying to compose yourself, "a drowner, sir, or so I believe" you blurted out exhaling shortly after.

"I'm no sir" He stated looking down at you

"T-then how should I address you?"

"Just call me Eskel", you could have sworn you saw his lip pull upward into a smile, but only for a moment. You nodded looking down at the key in your hand, "let me take that" Eskel offered. Without thinking you pulled your hand away from him, wincing your face away from the man after you realised your defiance.

~ Eskel POV ~

I had offered my hand out for the key in the maid's hand, only for her to pull away frightened. I could see the fear laced within her being, the tension and brokenness.

"Miss, I'm not here to hurt you" I lowly hummed, trying to soothe her nervous state. The woman looked back at me, her (E/C) eyes glinting in the low light, was she crying?

At that moment I knew something needed to be done, I could only assume how long this had been going on for. "May I have the key?"

The woman quickly passed me the worn key, it was warm from the clasp it was gripped in. "Don't worry, I will deal with it" I assured her whilst unlocking the door.

The staircase beyond was dim and chilling, my eyesight adjusting to the lack of light. I could hear gurgling down in the darkness as I drew my sword

~ Your POV ~

You continued your chores in the kitchen as you awaited for the witcher to return, time seemingly to drag on. As you were cleaning the dishes as the door to the cellar swung open, swiftly turning from the baisen you saw the witcher with a couple of minor wounds. Without a second thought, you rushed to the brunette pulling his arm to inspect his cuts.

The witcher brushed your hand from his, "I'm alright, just didn't expect there to be a water hag down there" at hearing this your eyes widen as you face the man.

"Water hag?"

"Don't worry, I took care of it", you frowned at the witcher knowing that the lack of information you gave him could have killed the man.

"Please, let me tend to your wounds, that is the least I can do for you" you pleaded

"That won't be happening" that voice, why did he have to be here. You turned to face your lord apologising as you bowed, "offering services that we did not discuss, it seems you still have yet to learn your place, " the man growled raising his hand.

The next moment you found yourself on the floor, clutching your stinging cheek. Your vision going hazy as your head drooped down, frightened to face the man you were supposed to respect.

The man raised his hand once again, but no contact was made. The witcher Eskel had his arm extended between you and your master, staring down the man with his intense golden eyes.

"Move mutant, before you regret it"

"I'll have you know that us witchers don't solely kill monsters that lurk in the dark." you looked up at the witcher, his face furrowed and grim "so lay another hand on her again and you'll be losing it"

"Get in my way again and I'll have my guards called to escort you out" he spat back. Reaching past the witcher he grabbed at your hair.