Chapter 4 - Saved Once Again

The sun shone through the window onto your face causing your eyes to tear up, bringing your hand to your face you wiped away the sleep while yawning. 'Wait sun?' you thought to yourself before the sudden dread set through you, "I slept in!".

You sat up straight only to find yourself not in your room, you put your face in the palm of your hand remembering the events that unfolded yesterday. 'That's right, I ran away wit-' you looked around the room searching for the witcher, but only found it to be empty. "Eskel?"

You got up and changed back into your normal clothing which thankfully had dried by now, tieing your hair back you left the room in search for your companion. Walking into the main room of the inn there were a few patrons sitting around the large room, as you scanned the different faces you still couldn't find the witcher.

"Excuse me sir" you turned to the barkeep you had met the night before "you wouldn't have happened to see the witcher I was travelling with?"

"No, sorry lass"

You turned back to the room after thanking the barkeep, 'did he just leave me here?' you thought to yourself 'surly not right'. Navigating past the other individuals in the hall you made your way for the door, looking towards the stables you could see his horse 'what was its name again, did he even say?'.

You walked towards the tall steed, it's soft eyes looking towards you as you approached. "Hey buddy, do you know where Eskel is?" You ask as you stroke their face, they looked towards you sniffing at your face earning a small giggle from you. You started bonding with the great animal as you waited for the witcher, not really paying attention to much else.

"Hey you, girl" you heard a gruff voice behind you, one that you did not recognise. You stiffened in place peering over your shoulder at the man.

"Can I help you?" you asked quietly, hoping the man would just leave you alone.

"This your horse?" he inquired tilting his head, his sharp eyes staring down at you.

"N-no, It's-"

"Than I'm sure you wouldn't mind stepping away for a moment"

Before you could protest the man grabbed at your wrist harshly, a yelp escaped your lips at the sudden movement as you stumbled into the man. "So tell me, what is a pretty girl like you doing in these parts hmm?"

As if they could sense the danger the horse reared up on its hind legs letting out a loud whinny, the man backed off slightly with you still in his grasp muttering something along the lines of 'stupid horse'.

~ Eskel POV ~

'I heard Scorpion call out which means that something isn't right' he thought to himself rushing back to the inn, Eskel wasn't far off as he was only gathering supplies for the journey ahead. As he rounded the side of the inn he could see his steed looking panicked, thrashing his head back and forth and with the look to kick.

"Woah Scorpion, it's alright boy" the witcher raised his hands trying to gain the warhorses attention, that was until he saw you. Your wide frantic eyes clouded over with tears, a slight shake to your physique.

Eskel rushed over to the man grabbing him by the collar, all the while tearing you from his grasp and holding you close.

"What the hell-" the man spat until he recognised the man in front of him "fucken witcher" he growled backing off as he straightened himself leaving. Eskel looked down to you still holding a firm grasp around your shoulders.

"Just breath, you're alright" He tried comforting the smaller girl in his arms, after a moment he could see you relaxing slightly. Eskel looked towards Scorpian a small smile across his face "thank you bud".

Eskel watched you for the next little while, waiting for you to calm down from the experience.

~ Your POV ~

"Let's get out of here, it's not safe" Eskels voice brought you out of your thoughts, is amber eyes seemingly washing away any negative feelings in that moment of time. You could only nod in response as you felt yourself getting lost, 'his eyes, they are so.. Handsome' you thought to yourself as you continued to study his eyes.

"(Y/N)?"

"Ah, sorry" you turned away noticing a slight crimson dusting the witches features, you too were now a blushing mess after being caught staring.

The two of you mounted the horse once again, you riding behind Eskel which you were thankful for, as you couldn't shake the blush from your cheeks. You wrapped your arms around the witches torso as you continued down the road out of town. Little did you know that Eskel also had a blush apparent across his cheeks, as it seemed he also was falling for you.