Having the Kids for Dinner

She never shouted. Never raised her voice and certainly never raised her hand. She was always calm, no matter the adversity she faced. To see her so frantic gave me pause.

She'd said she was ready for this. She was as eager as I, so the look of panic on her face sent a shot of equal panic bursting through me.

"Calm down," I said her, ignoring the tremble that chased the adrenaline.

"Calm down? What the hell have you done with them? Tell me!"

"I've done exactly as you said. Don't worry."

I wasn't sure if I actually had, given her reaction. She pushed me out of the way and I banged my hip against the table. I kept the cry of pain to myself, swallowing it along with my resolve.

"No, you haven't. You're meant to turn the heat down and let them simmer. And I bet you haven't added pepper."

Even dead, she knew how to cook better than I.

This was written for the adultfiction 30 Days of Spooky challenge that they're holding in conjunction with the MicroBytes, ChickLit and Paranormal profiles

This was written for the adultfiction 30 Days of Spooky challenge that they're holding in conjunction with the MicroBytesChickLit and Paranormal profiles.

The prompt was "She burst into the room and screamed "What have you done with the children?"

Yum!

Check out the amazing prompts and treasure hunts on the above profiles and have a go yourself!