Clean Plates & Messy Dates

"So you're saying poisoning his food, killing one of his loved one and robbing him off his money is your ideal date?" my bestfriend, Ava, laughed loudly from the other side of the screen.

"Yeah, it makes sense! I'll see him handle sickness, grief and debt in one go. I can definitely determine our marriage compatibility over that one night," I said, not sparing her a look as I continued to fold my clothes.

Where did so many clothes come from? I don't remember moving a muscle out of the dorm this weekend.

I heard her sigh in reply,"You're crazy as ever Nina. Damn I miss you now."

"Well, A, it's not a crazy idea but a solution to my mother's absurd logic and B, we're on a love hiatus remember? No saying you miss me or love me."

"But isn't that every household's story? Strict no-no to date in high school, yes-yes to good grades and good colleges, lots of I miss you beta and then last minute BAM! My dearest child, where is thy boyfriend? When wilst thou bring him home?" elaborate hand gestures and expressive eyes matched her words. Always the Drama Queen.

I chuckled a bit at that. She was right. That is exactly what was happening to me.

"And also," she continued,"our hiatus was for a day. Only because Aunty misunderstood us to be more than friends when you oh-so-vehemently refused having a boyfriend. So yes, I'm allowed to miss you Nina-poo." She crooned out the last part knowing well I disliked it. Fairly enough my nose scrunched up at the name but continued my chores nonetheless.

"Stop calling me that! And can't a girl just want to, I don't know, study well and secure a future for herself? Maybe even go on solo trips to find herself. All of that jazz minus the guy. Must there be a male figure?" I raised my hands in exasperation. This button-down shirt was enough frustration for me to fold, I didn't need more with this boy talks. I'd had enough of them with my mother.

"Woah, calm down lady. Someone's clearly on the edge today," her head turned to the side for a second, glancing at something, face a mix of annoyance and amusement.

"What's it?"

"Huh? Oh, that, nothing. The neighbour dude is being weird again. He was mowing his backyard with these fancy headphones on and now suddenly he started stripping to some Taylor Swift song." Her eyes darted around a few times, never settling on me.

"Come on, tell me what is it. You're hiding something from me," I urged.

"What? No! There's nothing to hide. Why would you say so?"

"I've known you since we were in diapers, Ava. Your eyes tell me there's something more. What's it?"

She looked back to the side. This time it was clear frustration on her face.

"Is someone there?" I asked her.

She quickly turned back to me, "No, the man's just dancing in his Captain America boxers. A mental image that I don't need."

I burst out laughing at the expense of her twisted expression of disgust. "Definitely a weird guy."

"Yeah.." she drawled, "enough of the neighbour talk, tell me more about your college life! How's the campus? What about the classes? Any cute guys in class? New friends? I swear to God if you replace me with anyone new I'll drive uptil there and put up posters across your campus explaining why you'll forever be my Nina-poo!"

"Waiiit! Slow down my child. The campus is humongous, you saw that too when we went campus hopping last October. Classes  are interesting. And they better be. I am paying them fo this! New friends in the sense that I am on hello-how are you-ok bye terms with the girl who sits beside me. Yes, Ava-bear, we know that you're my top priority," I took my time answering her questions. I purposefully skipped the question about boys. She better take the hint.