5

Danny had spent less than 28 minutes with these kids(more than that if you counted the dream-which he didn't), yet he already could tell they were going to be fast friends. Dipper, despite his awful name, was resourceful and smart, answering almost every question Danny had. It was really nice, not getting weird looks for being friends with the school goth or being the son of the ghost hunters in town. He was just Danny Fenton to Dipper. 

Then there was Mabel. Glittery, fun, optimistic, Mabel. He could barely believe this girl was a teen. She was too filled with happiness to be compared to any teen you'd find in a high school, but really, that was the charm. She wasn't your average girl obsessed with Britney Spears or a even a girl like Sam or Jaz. She was just Mabel. 

So, after downing some seriously good Mabel Juice(he'd have to ask her for the recipe), Dipper asked Danny a few questions.

"Danny, you're from 2008, right?"

"Yep." 

Dipper scribbled that down. "And did you dream about meeting us last night?"

Danny nodded. "Mhm. I don't know how you pulled my out of the Unknown, but you guys have to have been a catalyst for something."

Mabel asked the next question. "How'd you end up in the Unknown?"

He shrugged. "Ghost shenanigans." Honestly, it wasn't a lie. If he started speaking of his other adventures, they'd think he was insane.

"Lastly, what was that thing last night? The singing creature?" Dipper questioned.

"Some call it the Beast. In the Unknown, the don't talk about him much at all. All I know is how to avoid him, and that running into him is bad news. No one has ever seen its face, or fought it. It just wanders around, hoping to entrap its next victim." 

"Lovely." Dipper commented dryly. "Is it a demon? A wendigo? Perhaps a cryptid or mythical creature?" He was furiously writing something in his notebook, often looking between Danny and the papers.

Danny shrugged. He really, truly didn't know. The Unknown was creepy enough on its on, with its black turtles and pumpkin fields. Interacting with the locals was usually low on his list, and interacting with the Beast was a no-go. 

Why?

He couldn't become a ghost in the Unknown. Something he could trigger so easily stopped working whenever he entered the strange realm. He felt like he was always the Phantom, but being made of flesh and blood definitely proved that feeling false. Fighting it would be with all his human strength, and he had practically none.

"I can't say."

Mabel patted him on the shoulder. "Its okay! Mrs. Frinellie says that not knowing means you get to experience expanding your mind all on your own."

"Who's Mrs. Frinellie?"

"My social studies teacher. She drives a purple motorcycle!"

Dipper coughed. "Biased."

"What was that?" Mabel asked her twin. She may have not caught it, but Danny certainly did. He'd have to ask later, if he had time.

"Nothing. Just a cough." He lied. "But anyways, while you're here, want a tour? I can promise things here aren't gonna be boring."

Mabel nodded, clapping her hands together. "Oh I know! We can bring him to the Post-Weirdmageddon Museum!"

"No." Dipper vetoed. "How do you think any sane person would react to a place like that? Heck, Toby framed a picture of himself in Weirdmaggedon gear. No one wants to see that." Dipper reasoned, blanching.