Birthday Surprise

Birthday Surprise
Lenalee skipped down the hall. She was on her way to the science department to see her older brother. His birthday was coming up and she wanted to make it extra special. He had been  working hard lately and she was thinking about scheduling him a day off. As she reached the door a loud explosion sounded from behind it.
Gasping she tried to pull it open. Smoke billowed out. Several of the scientist managed to stumble out. They fell at her feet. Coughing they tried to catch a lungful of the clean air. Many had tears streaming down their faces. Komui staggered out, Reever leaning on his shoulders.
“Lenalee whatever are you doing here?” Her brother asked. His job was Chief of the black order science department. He sat Reever the head scientist down on a long bench outside the door.
“I uh, well I came to see you.” She flashed a large smile at him.
“I don’t have time right now.” He said slightly distracted with the other scientists.
“Can we talk later?” She asked clasping her hands in front of her.
“Meet me in my office in an hour.” He told her. She threw her arms around his neck placing a quick kiss on his cheek.
“Ok.” She cried before rushing away. She decided she would got to the dinning hall to get something to eat. Walking in she spotted two of her fellow exorcists sitting together. The white haired Allen Walker and red head Lavi Bookman. 
Lenalee joined them after getting her own dinner. “Hey guys.” She called out as she sat down. Typical of the parasitic exorcist Allen had a mound of empty food dishes in front of him. He moved some onto a cart to give her room. Blushing slightly he greeted her.
“Hi Lenalee.” He grinned. She liked the younger boy. He was always so polite. A smile shined on his face for everyone. She couldn’t be in a bad mood around him, not for long anyway.
“Hey Lenalee.” Lavi echoed as he helped Allen clear away more dishes.
“What are you guys doing Friday night?” She asked innocently. Lavi grinned putting one hand behind his head.
“Well if your looking for a date, I could check my calendar.” He teased. They heard a tsk from the table next to them. Kanda just sat down with his soba noodles.
“Like it is that full.” He said. Lavi chose to ignore him as Allen shot the other a dark look. Ok so maybe he didn’t have a smile for everyone. It seems the dark samurai Yu Kanda got on the boys nerves a little.
“Friday is Komui’s birthday.” Lenalee told them.
“Busy.” Kanda stated without looking at her.
“No you’re not!” Allen yelled at him. “Why do you always have to be so negative?” he demanded.
“Why do you have to butt into other people’s meals, short stack?” Kanda’s lip twitched at his given nickname to the pale exorcist.
“It’s ALLEN!” The younger boy cried.
Lenalee reached over to touch his hand. Before she could say anything Lavi’s arm draped across the small boys shoulders.
“Don’t mind Yu, he is just always in a bad mood.” The emerald eyed teen commented.
“I am going to kill you!” The dark exorcist stated calmly. “If you do not stop using my first name.”
“You’ve been saying that for nearly three years now.” Lavi said leaning more heavily onto Allen in order to glare better at Kanda. “Still alive here!”
“Hurumph.” The warrior went back to eating, pretending to ignore the others. Lenalee took that to mean she could continue.
“I want to plan a party for him. You see he never had friends growing up.”
“No surprise there.” Kanda muttered.
“Shut it!” Allen yelled at him. Lavi laughed.
“We can work on that.” Lavi grinned at her. She gave him a greatful smile.
After eating she walked out into the hall. Lavi, Kanda and Allen had left shortly after their conversation. She had finished her meal with Miranda, another female exorcist. Now she was heading out to Komui’s office to meet with him. She was smiling as she thought about what she could do for his birthday. As she neared the corner she heard talking.
“You need to stop being so annoying.” Kanda’s voice came from around the corner. It was soft, almost caring. It made the girl stop.
“Yeah well stop making me mad.” She heard Allen say. Wait why were they talking nicely to each other? She had never heard them speak like that before. They always appeared to hate each other.  A deep laugh came from the direction the pair’s voices were coming from.
Lenalee bit her hand. Oh my god was Kanda laughing? She tried to lean out into the corridor to see if she could see them. What she saw had her more shocked than anything. Kanda leaned against the wall, Allen stood before him. The taller, darker exorcist was rubbing Allen’s arm, a smile on his face.
“Why do you have to take such and exception to being short?” Kanda was teasing Allen. Allen shrugged.
“I’m not short. I’m fifteen!” he cried. Kanda chuckled again. He leaned into Allen. Lenalee thought he may have been whispering something into the other’s ear, but then Allen turned his head. If she had to guess she would think they were kissing!
“Lenalee, Komui is heading to his office now.” A timid voice said from behind her. She jumped turning to see Johnny, one of the scientist carrying a bow to the elevator.
“Oh, yes, that’s where I’m heading!” She cried feeling her cheeks warm. Looking back down the hall she saw that Kanda wasn’t there any longer. Allen stood looking at the wall where the other had been. Lenalee hurried to follow Johnny into the elevator.
“Komui!” She cried brightly at seeing her brother leaning against his cluttered desk. He held his favorite coffee mug it was blue with a pink bunny on it.
“Lenalee, what was it you wanted to see me about?” he asked sipping from the steaming mug.
She smiled at him. “Well I was thinking that your birthday is coming up…” She paused when he waved a hand in the air.
“Don’t tell anyone that!” He cried peering around her to make sure the door was closed.
“But I was thinking we could do something special.” She looked hurt at his dismissal.
“I don’t have the time.” He said extending one hand to indicate all the papers on his desk. “Too much to be done here.” He turned his back to her.
“But there has to be something you want to do.” She pleaded with him. He looked back at her.
“Do you remember when you were little?” He asked. She waited. She hadn’t spent a lot of time with her brother when she was young, have been chosen by the innocence at a very young age.
“We used to have sleep overs together, tea and popcorn, pillow fights….” A wistful smile touched his thin lips. “I miss that.” He all but whispered. She hugged him from behind.
“Then we can do that for your birthday!” She was so excited to finally have a plan. Komui patted her hands at his waist.
“I look forward to it!” he smiled down at her. She ran out of the office when three finders came into gave the Chief their report. As she walked the halls she thought about what she could do to get ready for Komui’s surprise. Being deep in thought she didn’t see that her way was blocked.
“Oof” she exhaled as she walked into someone. Lavi peered at her over an armful of books.
“Hey Lenalee, what are you doing down here?” he asked. She helped him pick up the books she had knocked out of his hands.
“Just coming from talking with Komui.” She said. He smiled at her.
“Still trying to plan a party?” He asked.
“Actually, he wants to do a sleep over…” her voice trailed away as she grinned at the boy.
“Oh um, well..” he stammered.
“You said you could be there, right?” her smile split her face as she waited for his response.
“Um a sleep over?” He asked shuffling the books.
“Yeah, if you see Allen tell him to come too.” She laughed hugging his arm as she hurried past him. “Thanks, Lavi!” She waved rushing down the hall.
The next morning at breakfast she sat down with Yu Kanda. “No.” he said before she could even open her mouth.
“That’s not nice.” She pouted he glared. Neither said anything for a few minutes.
“You know I was on my way to Komui’s office after dinner last night…” she let her voice trail off as she buttered a roll. His cobalt blue eyes narrowed as he looked at her.
“So?” he said.
“Well I saw something that was a bit curious.” Pretending not to notice the death stare he was giving her, she smiled at him.
“I’m to care why?” he asked.
“You and Allen…” taking a bite from her roll she locked eyes with the swordfighter. “kissing…” she hissed at him. His glare darkened. Happily she noted he didn’t deny it.
“If you don’t want anyone else to know, then you will be in the library Friday night. We are going to have a sleep over with Komui.” Her typical smile back on her face she picked up her tray to go find better company. A chuckle made her turn around.
“And they all think you are sweet and innocent.” They looked at each other. “I’ll be there.” He added. “Don’t tell Allen what you saw.” With a nod she left him to eat his dinner alone as usual.
Friday night came quickly. She had met Lavi after dinner with Kanda to be told that Allen would be joining them. Now the two of them along with the dark haired girl were in the library getting things set up.
Allen had gotten Chef Jerry to make them snacks. He was setting everything up on a table. Lavi had found a bunch of extra pillows and blankets. Lenalee was happy to see both boys out of their exorcist uniform.
Allen simply wore a black tank top that hugged his thin body. He had grey workout pants on with fuzzy red slippers. She had laughed at them until he told her it was the only thing he had kept from his adoptive father Manna Walker. She hugged him to apologize. With a smile on his face he told her it was ok, he thought they were funny too.
Lavi wore a red one piece suit with feet. He had a white bunny tail attached to the back. With his eyepatch he just looked adorable. She had given him a  hug to when he had arrived.
“Looks like we are about set up, all we need is the birthday boy.” Lavi said looking around the room.
“Oh Kanda’s getting him.” Lenalee said as she placed silverware next to the food Allen had set up. The boy had just popped a grape into his mouth.
He coughed out, “K k Kanda’s coming?” He choked. Lavi pounded on his back until he was able to breath. Lenalee’s sweet smile greeted his watery gaze when he was able to see.
“Oh yes.” She gushed.