Chapter 1: Confession

My eyes open and close, adjusting to the soft light of the morning filtering through the blinds. I slowly move my hand to my forehead, a splitting headache, terrorizing my mind. I groan slightly, knowing full well it won't be disappearing anytime soon. As I sit up, I look over to the decently large cookie cat clock, placed on my side table. The time reads 11:30. Did I really sleep in that late? I roll my eyes, wanting to drift my throbbing back down onto the pillow. As my head rests on the fluffy surface, my eyes shoot open.

"Idiot." I yell before bolting up, running over to my closet. I quickly change into my pink varsity jacket, accompanied by a black shirt with a yellow star. Paired with jeans, and my usual red sandals. "Connie's gonna murder me..." I mumble under my breath, running downstairs.

"Steven!" Pearl calls, stopping me in my tracks. My eyes widen as I see the three familiar faces sat around the couch, accompanied by Lapis, Bismuth, and Peridot.

"You've gotta be kidding me..." I whisper for no one but myself to hear.

"Where you heading to which has you in such a rush?" Amethyst smirks. I stand paralyzed, like a deer in headlights.

"U-uh just out t-to go see L-Lars!" I say, my hand finding the back of my neck. A nervous chuckle following the obvious lie.

"Hm, that's not what I heard..." Amethyst grins, wider this time. My face drops, remembering that she was in fact there...

~ flashback to a few days prior ~

"Steven!" She runs to embrace me in a hug.

"H-Hey Connie!" I return the hug, very much a nervous wreck.

"Are you okay? You look really sick..."

"I'm fine! Just peachy!" I yell, causing her to step back a bit. Her eyes move up and down my body, meeting mine once again.

"Uhuh..." She replies, unconvinced. Silence consumes the area as we stand in an awkward state in front of one another. I clear my throat.

"Anyways... do you wanna start?" I ask, gesturing to the picnic.

"Sure Steven," she chuckles. I extend a hand.

"Miss knight," I smile in a sheepish way. She giggles before taking it, sitting down.

"Why thank you my liege." She says, bowing while staying seated. She tries her best to hold in her laughter, but her very cracked attempt at a mask breaks and she can barely breathe. I soon join in too, but my nerves never disappear. No matter how familiar the person beside me is, she can always create butterflies in my stomach. As I watch her wipe a tear, her hair falling over her shoulders, longer than it was before. Her soft, yet beautiful facial features with her smooth skin, perfectly coinciding with the sunset behind. I feel a strong blush spread across my cheeks.

"Steven, are you okay?" She asks, waving a hand in front of my face, pulling me away from the trance she unknowingly cast upon me. Another nervous chuckle comes from me.

"S-sorry."  I whisper. She tilts her head, a smile filling her face. She turns to face the sunset, her hair blowing slightly in the wind.

"Now, may I ask why you brought me up to the lighthouse for a sunset picnic Universe?" She questions. The query makes my eyes widen.

"I-I just wanted t-to do something d-different..." I choose my words carefully.

"What type of different? I mean Steven, you're way too nice and caring, but even this is over the top for you." She says.

"I dunno..."

She starts to talk again, but my eyes move across her. I study her facial features. The gentle curves of her face, the slight blush present as she gets passionate with what she's talking about. The fire in her eyes, but a good kind. It's more a passionate version of a sparkle, than a hasty type look. She quickly turns to face me, snapping me back to the conversation.

"So... what is it?" She asks, fully expectant for a well put together answer. I gulp as her eyes stay focused on me. I turn to look at something other than her.

"I'm gonna be honest with you..." I begin. I start to sweat more as I realize the words about to leave my mouth. "I didn't hear anything you just said because I wasn't paying attention." I pause for a moment, taking a deep breath in. "Because I was focusing on, well... you." A blush grows on her face. "I was so focused on you... cause I like you Connie. Like, I really like you..." I turn to look at her. Her eyes are wide, her face almost completely red. She moves down to lean on my shoulder.

"I like you too Steven..." She quietly replies, as if someone else were listening. The blush on my face growing to be the biggest it could be. My arms wrap around her as I pull her closer. I look from the sunset to her. My heart fluttering as I watch her just lie against me. I turn back to the view, my eyes closing in content. I heard a buzzing sound, but chose to ignore the bug, swatting it away. But before it disappeared, I heard a very faint, recognizable voice, belonging to a certain purple gem.

"Nice one Steven," followed by a laugh, before disappearing.

~

AN: So hm chapter 1's done ay? I don't really have a set outline for this story rn/how long it'll be- but it'll probs be about fifteen to twenty chapters if you want an idea. This was super short, but I felt like a short first chapter was the right way to go!