15. smiley threats and lost lives

Later that day, when Nakul had left for his workshop, Madhulika was able to channel her happy mood into shattering her creative block

Later that day, when Nakul had left for his workshop, Madhulika was able to channel her happy mood into shattering her creative block. She worked on the Ganesh murti ceaselessly for the rest of the day, until the onset of dusk made it difficult to concentrate.

She had only just risen from her stool, moving her neck around to get rid of the stiffness, when Chikki came bounding inside, barking urgently.

It was an unusual sight, for her dog was of a mild temperament. Right now, though, his golden body was rigid, dark blonde hair standing erect as he wagged his tail incessantly. He captured Madhu's kurta between his teeth and tried to pull her in the direction of the main door.

The white pillars on the four corners of the courtyard were reflecting the shadows of the setting sun when Madhu stepped foot in the hallway. Chikki led her to the porch, where she was greeted by four men.

Her dog's behaviour suddenly made a lot of sense.

Standing outside the iron gate leading to her property was the same goon who had choked Madhu after burning Rani. Next to him was a familiar-looking man. Short, stout with a moustache shaped like a downturned V and a plastic smile that didn't reach his eye. He was the man who had thrashed Champa's son Kamal, the infamous Brigesh Babu Nakul had told her about. The man beside him looked exactly like Brigesh Babu, only much taller and clean shaven.

The fourth man was the odd one out, with a head full of ugly, copper-red hair, indicative of his attempt to dye his white streaks with henna paste. He wore round, gold-rimmed glasses and a faded blue checkered shirt, looking like a stereotypical small-town teacher, the kind whom kids would fondly refer to as Master ji.

Chikki continued barking as Madhulika stood rooted on the porch, unable and unwilling to move. She could feel them looking at her expectantly, as if waiting for her to open the gate and invite the party inside. She wanted to run back around the house to find Nakul.

It wasn't as if the gate was physically stopping them. With the exception of Brigesh Babu, all three of them were taller than it. If they were here to attack her, then they could've simply scaled the perimeter wall.

This had to be a social call.

Madhu felt her own lips stretching into a polite smile as she walked towards them, slowly unbolting the gate.

"Namaste," she mumbled, her voice dipping questioningly. She needed answers.

The short man smiled. Madhu noticed that while his wrinkles gave him away, his hair and moustache were jet black. "My name is Brigesh and this is my son Vishal," he said, pointing to the taller man who resembled him. "I heard Old Thakur sahib's granddaughter is visiting."

"That's me."

His smile widened and he joined his hands in a Namaste. Madhu stiffened.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you. My father was a great friend of your grandfather."