Cleaning

You slowly entered your room and a sneeze rose up. Multiple sneezes came after. The room was dusty and very untidy. Sheets on the bed were messy, clothes laid on the floor and the messy dresser, boxes threw down in the corner of the room and bits and pieces of papers everywhere. You couldn't help but raise an eyebrow. Your grandfather was a person who didn't like untidiness. Every month when you came to visit, the house would shine in every corner. Not one dirt would be found. If it wasn't for him being a farmer you would say he was germaphobic.

Your grandfather left his house two weeks ago so there was no way the room could be like this. He even hired a maid to clean the house everyday. Was the maid not doing her job because the old man was sick and knew that he would die soon?

You stepped further into the room holding a hand over your nose that had turned red from the sneezing. The house had only two bedrooms and the room that you were in is the guest room. The other room was your grandfather's room that your parents would be staying in.

The room was partly dark but you could still see. Nevertheless, you went over to the windows and drew open the blinds. Sunlight illuminated the room, giving you a clearer view.

You turned to head downstairs to your mother but gasped upon what you saw. Splashes of crimson liquid were on the wall. A bile rose up in your throat and you ran out the room to downstairs. Your mother was in the kitchen with a bucket of water on the counter and a cloth in her hand, cleaning the cupboards.

"Mom!" The lady wasn't given any time to respond as you grabbed her hand and immediately began to pull her upstairs.

"Hold on, Y/n, slow down. Where are you taking me?"

"To my room.... there is something I need to show you. I don't think we should live here."

Your mother gently pulled her hand out of your grip. "Y/n, we are staying her whether you like it or not so please stop creating excuses."

"Mom! I'm serious, this is serious."

Your mother let out an exasperated sigh. "Okay... what is it."

"My room."

Your mother followed behind as you walked to your room. You pointed at the wall where the blood was. "Look do you see it now. That's blood. What if a murderer lived here?"

"Y/n, that could be anything. It doesn't have to be blood."

"What?! Of course it is. It practically as blood written all over it!"

"We'll just repaint the walls tomorrow."

"I'm not sleeping in here with that thing watching me."

"Then we'll repaint it today."

"We already have too much work to be done."

"Then you'll be sleeping on the couch?"

You grumbled under your breath before agreeing. There's no way in hell you'll be sleeping in the room with what you think was blood on the walls. Sometimes you wished you had smarter parents and not the ones in horror movies that ignores their children's warnings.

"I'm going to continue my cleaning. You need to start cleaning your room up so that you can go to bed early and wake up early in the morning."

"What time exactly is early?"

Tomorrow would be Saturday and you'd usually stay in bed until 11:00 am or over. But in movies when people have work to do on farms they'd usually wake before sun rise and knowing your mother, you would probably do the same.

"5:00."

Yup, you jinxed it. "5:00?!" you exclaimed with wide eyes. "Why not 6:30? That's still early."

"Nope." Your mother said popping the 'p' as she shook her head. "That's your waking up hour staring tomorrow. You'll have to get use to it~" she sang. "Now time to get back to work." Your mother hands you a bucket of water and cloth from who-knows-where-she-got-them-from and turned you around to face the closet near the bed.

"Why not start in there first?" She left after saying that. The room was now eerily quiet and a shiver ran down your spine as you thought of all the possible things that could be in the closed white closet. If their was blood on the wall it wouldn't be a surprise to see a body falling out the closet like in horror movies.

You slapped yourself. Enough, Y/n! Movies are movies, they're not real. Get yourself together! There's not a goddamn body in the closet.

You slowly made your way to the closet and took steady breaths as you reached your hand out to the doorknob. Your fingers wrapped around the knob and slowly pulled.

"Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!"

Something fell out on you!

You fell to the ground screaming your head off with your eyes squeezed shut. You felt hands grabbing your shoulders and shaking you.

"Y/n, Y/n!"

Your eyes shot open and you immediately stopped screaming once you saw your mother. She stood up straight then spoke, "Geez what has gotten into you, Y/n? You almost gave me a heart attack with your screaming and made me thought that something bad happened. What are you doing on the floor with these boxes lying around you? You're supposed to tidy your room not mess it up even more."

You were dumbfounded. You looked around you and saw multiple old boxes lying around.

Oh?

That's when you realize that what fell on you wasn't a body but empty boxes. Those horror movies you watched recently are really taking a toll on you huh?

You stood up and apologized to your slightly furious mother. She went back downstairs to continue her work. You went to the bathroom to change your clothes for the bucket had also turned over and the water soaked into your blouse and knee length skirt. Once changed into a dry clothing you continued to tidy the room.

Timeskip

You fluffed the pillow and adjusted your head to a more comfortable position on the hand rest of the couch. You closed your eyes only to have yourself shifting your head at the still uncomfortable feeling. You sat up and fluffed the pillow again but everytime you laid your head onto it, the pillow would sink down, making you feel the hardness of the hand rest.

You got extremely frustrated and threw your legs over the other side of the couch and laid your head on the seat itself. Though still uncomfortable, it was better than having a hardness behind your head.

You closed your eyes, ready to be overcome by darkness.

Bang!

Your eyes flew open. You stayed still under the covers of your sheet. You could have sworn you heard something fall in the kitchen. After hearing nothing you tried drifting back to sleep only to hear the sound of the fridge door opening.

You quickly sat up and looked into the kitchen. The small lamp that rested on the kitchen counter helped to illuminate the kitchen. Nothing seemed out of place. Not even the fridge.

Your parents wouldn't be downstairs for you would have heard them descending the stairs. A shiver ran up your spine when you thought about your room. Was there really a murderer living inside the house?

Curiosity got the best of you and you slowly removed the sheets tangled around you. You tip-toed into the kitchen and saw something that scared you for life.

Hello, there.

You hadn't slept that night.