Piece of Advice

"Or what?" I dared him.

Noah started laughing and shook his head. "You don't know when to stop, do you? First, you challenge Layla, now me. What do you want, Scarlett? We aren't your friends. We don't have to like you and play pretend as my brother does."

I frowned and turned to Evan. "Are you playing pretend?"

Evan opened his mouth several times. "Y-you believe him? He is Noah."

"Yes, and he is your brother?"

Evan shook his head. "So? We do not always agree?"

Noah smirked. "I like where this is going."

I turned to him. "Can YOU perhaps shut the fuck up? Evan and I had a great time until you and your stupid friends came along."

Noah shot up. "Say that again, and I'll hurt you."

I turned to Evan. "Are you pretending? Because I need to know before I do something."

Evan sighed. "I am not pretending, Scar. I like you as my friend. That Noah or Layla or anyone else doesn't shouldn't bother you. And please, quite the attitude. My brother will not fight you, and neither will you fight him. Sit down."

I frowned at him until I realized I was standing face to face with Noah, only a small table between us.

"No, I won't sit down. I'm leaving, forget the noodles, Evan. I've had a good time, but it's time for me to go."

*

"Goodmorning, honey. Did you have fun last night?" my mother asked as she served toast.

I smiled at her. "Yeah, some guy I met before was there as well. I was nervous, but they all helped me, so... I guess I did have a lot of fun."

She chuckled at my tone and walked over to me to pet my hair and kiss me on my forehead. I always adored it when my mother showed affection; it made me feel loved.

"That's good to know, dear. Perhaps you wish to work there more often? You could earn some extra money now and then?"

I nodded. "Yeah... I might go there tonight to ask for a job. Thanks, mom. Where is Roy?"

"Oh, your little brother is hanging out with some friends. He mentioned Fortnite, but I am not sure what it is."

I chuckled. "It's a videogame. He's probably gaming. Why doesn't that surprises me?"

My mother and I started laughing, and both sat down to have breakfast together.

"Mom, can I... ask for some advice? About a guy?"

She blushed and eagerly turned to me. "Sure."

I laughed. "You're an open book. Okay, uhm... so, the guy I worked with is Evan. He's very kind, and funny, and pretty, but he has a brother, Noah, and he is like the opposite of Evan. Just very rude and cynical. I don't think he is mean, but I definitely do not like to be around him. A-and they both have girlfriends, so I won't ask love advice from you. I like being around Evan, but every time I am having fun with him, his brother is there, too. How would you deal with that?"

My mother blinked several times before she nodded. "Mmmh... difficult. I would ask their girlfriends first. After all, they have to deal with both of them as well. And-"

"Mom, their girlfriends aren't nice. They are very bitchy and mean."

"Oh, darling, I am sure they did not mean it that way."

"Yes, they did. One pointed out my skin color," I said, annoyingly.

"Alright... well... Why don't you ask their mother? Perhaps she can tell you more about them. You get along with Evan, right? Why not ask him?"

I would definitely not go to their mother, but I had never considered asking Evan. I can't believe that hadn't crossed my mind. I got up and kissed my mother on her cheek. "Thanks, mom."