Prologue

I took a deep breath, trying to push down how terrified I was to admit this to him, "Callie is not my sister."

"What do you mean?" Eli asked me.

"I mean, she's not my sister. My mother did not want to give her up. I did not fight with her to keep Callie and make sure she went to every appointment or drive her to the hospital. She didn't refuse to hold her after she was born."

"What are you talking about?"

"She's mine, Eli. Callie is my daughter."

Eli backed away from me, I was unsure of what he was thinking but the motion didn't reassure me one bit, "your daughter?" I nodded at him and he looked away from me, "how?"

I knew this was coming, but I was completely unprepared for it. When I told him, he would think I was lying. I wasn't ready for the argument that would bring on, but I couldn't go into this knowing that I was being dishonest, even if he wouldn't believe me and it would push him away.

I knew this was coming, but I was completely unprepared for it. When I told him, he would think I was lying. After whatever convincing Xavier had done previously, he would never believe me. I wasn't ready for the argument that would bring on, but I couldn't go into this knowing that I was being dishonest, even if it would push him away and cause him to leave again. I took a couple minutes to build myself up to telling him, I didn't want to stutter or break down crying when I said it. "I-I was... raped."