chapter twenty-three

cora crimson

When i get out of the shower my phone goes off. my heart starts beating because it might be jack, oh how i miss him.

He is so perfect and makes me so fucking happy, jeez i'm super cringe when it comes to him. I get dressed into nike shorts and a white crop top.

I rush out of the bathroom and pick my my phone off the bed not even looking at who's calling.

"hello?" say into the phone. "cora?" i hear Amy, harpers mom, sniffle. i Tense up, "Amy? what's up?" i say and walk over to my dresser. "I have some news for you and i don't know how you are going to take it, but promise me you will be strong her her." she stutters and sniffles through-out her sentence. "i promise, what happened?" i ask.

"Harper was in a car crash last night, and she was found dead."

My heart stops. i drop my phone out my hand and everything zones out. This isn't real. all i can do is stand in my spot and look at a picture of me and her that is hanging on the wall, i remember that day like it was yesterday.

"omg we have to take a picture!" harper laughs at our new purple hair. "i can't believe you made me die my hair." i huff at my now violet hair. "it's so cute though!" she laughs and i laugh too as i pull out my phone. "hell yes!" she yells as i take the picture. "that's so cute send it to me." she laughs and i do too.

I zone back into this stupid reality as i see jack storm into my room. he must've heard the news because he eyes are teared up and his face is bright red. "cora." he breaths as he runs up and hugs me. i don't feel his touch. i don't feel anything.

i just stand there, not moving as he holds onto me for dear life. He cares for me. and i love him. But right now, i could careless if he was here.

He doesn't say anything at all, he lets go of me and i fall on the floor in tears. i take everything in, the memories, the laughs, the jokes, the tears, the fights. I remember the first time she got drunk and how she thought she was dying.

Or how we swore to never loose our virginity but it never ever worked.

Eventually, after long thinking, i say something.

"how, why?" i all i could say. "She um went to madison's party last night and her and jj got drunk, she drove jj home and they got into a wreck." jack says and my fist ball up at my sides.

Madison probably knew they where drunk and let them leave. i'm going to kill her.

"Madison is dead for letting them leave." i say. All i see if red when i get up and grab my keys from my dresser. "cora.." jack trails off while i sprint down stairs.

"cora!" he yells as i get to the door. i turn and look at him with tears rolling down my eyes. my legs feel weak, everything does. "what jack? why are you stopping me. she needs to know what she did." i say through my teeth. "woah woah. i'm not stopping you, i want to drive you." he says. "you can't drive in this condition." his face is serious and i nod.

We get into the car and he turns on the radio. Right when music plays and i turn it off. he doesn't turn it back on, and he doesn't say anything.

he knows me well enough to not mess with me right now.

Jack types on his phone before he drives out of my driveway. We pull up to someone's house and i'm guessing it's madison's.

I get out of the car and i'm to the front door before jack can catch up. I storm into the house. "What the-" i hear madison say as she appears into the doorway.

"you fucking bitch." i say running up to her and attacking her. she falls to the ground as i hop on top of her and starting pulling her hair and slapping her.

"cora what the hell?" i hear neels come up and pry me off of madison. He pulls me all the way back from her and madison slowly gets up.

she has a bloody nose and a busted lip. I hope she hurts, i hope she feels awful.

"Cora this is not my fault." she glares at me. i chuckle slightly. "really?" i scoff. Jack walks into the living room and sees madison has a busted face.

"jeez cora." he says. i shrug and push neels out of my grip.

"You knew she was wasted didn't you?" i ask madison as my eyes start watering again. when she doesn't answer my face gets heated. "ANSWER ME!" i yell and everyone jumps. "yes" she simply says and i lunge towards her,and everything turns red. i swing at her face but right before my fist connects with her face, jack stepped right in-front of her, causing me to punch him right in the jaw.

i see jack, holding onto his face. "jack, i'm so so-" i try and say but he cuts me off. "car now." he says trying to be nice but i know he is annoyed.

I get into the car and he gets in too. "jack don't be mad." i scoff. "Really cora, i can promise you harper would not want you acting like this." he says and i roll my eyes. "fuck you." i say and my eyes widen in surprise that I just said that.

"I don't know who you are cora!" he yells and drives off without saying another word.

Can he not see my best-friend just died? he is acting like it is nothing. "where are we going." i ask. "hospital, to see jj." he says gripping onto the wheel.

I didn't even think about JJ, he is probably going through so much, and i didn't think about jack, he knew harper, and his bestfriend is going through a lot shit.

i'm so selfish.

"shit jack i'm sorry i'm being so selfish." i say tearing up. "no baby, it's ok." he says as a tear slips down his eyes. He puts his hand on my thigh and i hold his hand.

we both cry on the way to the hospital.

no matter what, me and jack are going through this together.