first day of work

"This is it, Penny! You finally found a job!" 

I mumbled excitedly to myself, adjusting my black skirt in the mirror. It was my first day working at Mushnik's, a flower shop. He was desperate for employees.

My mother was still sleeping in her room, still sick as ever. I still didn't know what was wrong. It's not like we could afford a doctor right now. But maybe we could soon, I thought happily as I grabbed my packed lunch and headed out of my apartment. I lived in a rundown part of town called Skidrow, which was infamous for being a place full of alcoholics, druggies, criminals, and just plain bad people. 

I exited the building and saw my friends Crystal, Chiffon, and Ronette. They were loitering on the corner, checking the bills that had been given to them by passerbys. They smiled and waved. I gave a a little wave back. I liked those girls. They seemed tough but were really very nice to me. They helped get me money to buy medicine for my mom.

I arrived at Mushnik's and opened the glass door. A little bell rang and Mushnik came quickly from the basement.

"Penny! You made it on time!" Mr. Mushnik exclaimed.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked, my eyes darting around the store.

"I want to get you introduced to how we work, but I'm a little busy with an arrangement. Krelborn will show you what to do, even if he screws it up half the time."

I nodded and headed down the stairs. It was dark and dank, but smelled rich and earthy. 

"Mr. Krelborn? I'm Penny, your new co-worker." I yelled downstairs. I almost tripped over my own feet.

There was a crash and a short, skinny guy with curly brown hair and thick glasses came running. His sweater, pants , and glasses were streaked with dirt. He was attractive, but in a dorky way. Now this was someone I could relate too.

"H-hello P" Mr. Krelborn stuttered, "sorry about the mess. You scared me a little."

"Don't worry, Mr. Krelborn. Sorry for spooking you."

"P-please, call me Seymour."

"Mushnik told me you would show me the ropes. Think you can do that? Also I might drop something, so be careful!"

"S-sure. Go grab an apron and we can start."

I grabbed an apron and watched Seymour tend to the plants. I smiled. This was the job for me.