Chapter 3

Enkidu looked around the forest when he was sure no one was in sight; he commanded the chains to put the betrayed shield hero down on the grassy ground. Enkidu looked at the ravenette and sighed. "You look pitiful, boy. I told you about their true nature, but did you listen? No, of course not. As a result, everyone hates your guts."

Naofumi frowned and clicked his tongue. "Why did you save me? Why didn't you leave me with them? Huh?! Answer me!"

Enkidu sighed again and looked at the sky with a hint of nostalgia in his eyes. "Well...let's just say something similar happened to my friend and me a long, long time ago." Enkidu smiled bitterly. "Now, why don't you go to town and find something useful to defend yourself with? Perhaps some armor. You look like a caveman." Enkidu said flatly, making the ravenette's eyebrows twitch at the insult.

"Why shou-"

Enkidu narrowed his eyes at Naofumi as a dark aura surrounded him. "You will go to town, won't you?" he said sweetly, making Naofumi shiver.

"H-Hai!" Naofumi said as he quickly ran towards the village.

Enkidu smiled and nodded proudly. "Still got it."

Aslan looked at his owner with awe and roared at the green-haired man,

Enkidu looked down at Aslan with widened eyes. "That was cool?"

Aslan roared.

Sparkles appeared around Enkidu. "R-Really?? Gil always told me I was scary. So you don't think I'm a sadist or anything?" Enkidu said as he looked at Aslan with puppy dog eyes.

Aslan roared before quickly looking away.

"Wow! You're so cool, Aslan!" Enkidu snatched the lion and cuddled with him. Suddenly an idea popped in his head. "Hm, I wonder maybe I'll teach you how to make people terrif-respect you!" Enkidu quickly corrected himself.

Stars appeared in Aslan's eyes and roared.

Enkidu smiled darkly. "Fantastic. Now come minion. I'll tell you all about being a sadist."

A shiver went down everyone's spines.

With Naofumi...

Naofumi grumbled in annoyance as he walked into the town. Suddenly he was snatched in an alleyway and held against a wall by a tall bald man.

"Hey, kid with the shield. I heard what you did to that girl. You deserve a punch to the face!"

"You too?" Naofumi said, annoyed.

The bald man's eyes widened slightly as he looked at Naofumi's pained eyes. "You-" He said as he backed off a little.

"What? Weren't you going to punch me?"

"I changed my mind."

"Good. You were about to lose your life there." Naofumi said as he started to walk away.

"Wait a second," Erhard said, making Naofumi stop in his track and look at him. Erhard gave a green cloak to Naofumi. "You'll never make it dressed like that. Consider this a parting gift."

"How much?"

"Doesn't matter. But let's call it a clearance sale and say, five coppers."

"Gotcha. I promise to come pay you someday." Naofumi said as he took the cloak from Erhard.

"Don't die, kid."

"Don't worry, I'll make sure nothing happens to this foolish boy," Enkidu said as he suddenly appeared next to Naofumi.

"Gah! When did you get here, Enkidu!" Naofumi pointed an accusing finger at Enkidu.

Enkidu put his index finger on his lips and smiled mischievously. "That's a secret!"

Naofumi's eyes twitched at Enkidu's actions. "So annoying." He mumbled as he started walking away from the amused Enkidu.

"Ara ara Naofumi you have one of those orange balloons on your arms." Enkidu said as he looked at Naofumi's arm, where an orange balloon was biting him.

Naofumi punched the balloon away.

"Keep up, or you'll be left behind." Enkidu said as he walked calmly with Aslan on his head. Every now and then, Enkidu's chains would appear and kill the orange balloons that were headed towards him.

.

Next Day...

"Well, for these things...How does 1 copper for a pair sound?" The shop keeper said.

"Sure." A man said. "I'll take that. Thanks."

"Come again."

"Welcome." the Shop Keeper said as he looked at the two new figure er and one lion.

"Buy these." Naofumi said flatly as he looked at the shop keeper.

"Oh? Orange balloons, huh? Twenty in all." The shop keeper said. "How does 1 copper sound?"

Enkidu narrowed his eyes at the shop keeper. "Didn't you offer that guy 1 copper for two?"

"Did I, now?" the shop keeper said, playing dumb. "You must understand, I have a business to run."

"That so?" Naofumi said coldly and then raised his cloak showing orange balloons that were biting him. "Will these things fetch a better price, then? They're pretty lively."

"Gah!" The shop keeper shouted. "S-Stop it!"

"I'm not trying to rip you off here. All I want is a fair market price. Or wait, do you hate us for some reason, maybe?"

Aslan and Enkidu sweatdropped.

"F-Fine! I get it! I understand, so get these things off me! We have a deal." The shop keeper said nervously.

"Instead of trying to fleece me, if you buy from me regularly, I'm willing to give you a small discount.

"C-Consider it done! As much as I'd like to refuse, the goods and money are without sin."

Enkidu's eyebrow twitched at the dramatic response of the shop keeper.

"Also, feel free to tell people all about me. Tell them that any trader that messes with me will end up with bite marks all over."

Enkidu and Aslan sweatdropped again.

"No need to ask me. I was about to do just that." The shop keeper said nervously.

"To a long business relationship." Naofumi said as he and Enkidu walked away.

Enkidu closed his eyes and let himself be sent back to the past where he and Gilgamesh ruled Uruk - well, Gilgamesh mostly ruled, but he was always his advisor. So in a sense, they both ruled the kingdom.

.

"Enkidu, you're the first to be my equal," Gilgamesh said. "Let's spar again sometime...my only friend." The blonde king smiled gently as he looked up at Enkidu while sitting on the stone.

Enkidu's eyes widened and then chuckled. "Sure. I promise I will always stay by your side and spar with you. And should you ever be led astray, I will take your hand and guide you to the right path. After all, you're my only friend and equal as well, Gil." Enkidu smiled warmly at the blonde king, who was shocked at his words.

Gilgamesh chuckled. "Very well. Always and forever, Enkidu."

.

Enkidu opened his eyes and looked at the sky with a sad expression. "Always and forever, Gil."

"Let's go, Enkidu." Naofumi said as he walked towards Enkidu.

"Very well." Enkidu said as he walked towards Naofumi.