part 1. the storm

Everything was covered white.
The ground, the trees, even the road. Everything was burried in a deep cover of freshly fallen snow.

And it just kept coming.
The blizzard had set records. Snow falling in buckets covered every inch of the small town, landing silently at the feet of human beings who seemed to relish every flake. Children and adults alike were out enjoying the day.
The cold winter wind didn't seem to stop any as what could very well be the largest snowball fight anyone had ever seen ensued.

The day after the new year, the whole town was alive with laughter and brightly glowing string lights that shone even more so under the clouded grey sky.

A lone figure sat at the top of the only road sign in town. Clothed in a blue frosted hoodie, the boy watched the festivities from afar.

Jack.

His name is Jack Frost. The spirit of fun, bringer snow days and guardian of childhood. How do I know this? The moon told me so.
He watched with a bright smile on his face.
Places like this always made him happiest. The small towns, communities so tightly woven together.
This one in particular had his heart.
Humans... So fragile. So fleeting and yet.. so filled with joy and wonder.
His mind wondered back to his own childhood. His mortal days, cut so short by sacrifice and love.
But he wouldn't have had it any other way.

A small girl with her elder brother wandered past, laughing loudly as they pulled a sled.
It reminded Jack of him and his sister... And even more importantly, Jamie.

Jack stood up, tapping the tip of his staff to the sign and making a large icicle form all the way to the ground.
The kids immediately took notice, now running towards it with looks of wonder.
What would they do
Shatter it with rocks? Use it as a staff and play pretend? See who could get their tongue stuck the longest?

Jack waited and watched with excitement.

The elder boy kicked at the ice, making the whole sign shake.
Jack laughed and balanced on one foot, jumping down and laughing.
"What are you going to do with it?" He asked as the boy bent down to pick up the now broken in two ice shard.

There was no response.
The boy took the two pieces, giving the shorter side to his sister.

"Look mina! Lightning rods! Let's see if we can catch some lightning!"

The sister squealed in delight and the two continued on their way watching the clouds with eager faces, ice rods pointed at the thunderless sky.

Jack laughed and leaned on his staff watching them go.

The imagination of kids never ceased to amaze him.

Looking around the fun was starting to die down as the sun slowly sank below the tall pine trees.
Now the real cold was setting in, parents were herding their exausted children back inside for some hot chocolate and dry clothes.

Jack nodded. His work was done.
He looked up at the sky, watching the snow fall.

"Take me home wind!" He called, feeling a strong breeze shake his frosted white hair.
His oldest companion.

The wind seemed to laugh as it dragged him up high above the clouds.
As the sun set, the moon started to crest over the horizon.

The wind around him and the endless sky above, Jack watched the moon with bright blue eyes.

It was almost blinding.

He soaked it all in.

This ever sense of happiness that swelled in his chest was strong.
He had found his reason. His purpose. His center. And every day it filled him with the joy of the living.
It had almost been 10 years since the day that changed his life.