The Magicians: Chapter II

The gates of her Gothic Victorian-styled mansion were closing behind her.

"So you just gave me to them without fight," Toni sighed angrily, "I thought ypu were going to make sure this wouldn't happen."

"Look," her father, John, explained, in his soiled white shirt, dirty jeans, leather jacket and unshaved beard, "The Superiors need to think that you aren't a threat, especially with a mole in their midst. It would be less suspicious for you to attend, compared to refusing to attend. Plus, to lessen the suspicion on me I asked for a job. That way I can keep an eye on you while you're there."

"Can I take Yvo?" Toni smiled, remembering how optimistic Eclair was about attending a magical academy.

"Course you can kiddo," John replied.

"And just a few things from mom's study?" Toni gestured at a trunk with her mother's initials, M.G., on it.

"She would have wanted you to have them anyway," John smiled.

His daughter looked absolutely nothing like him or his wife. This made it hard to conceal the fact that she wasn't their blood. He had black hair and brown eyes, his wife had light auburn or ginger hair and reddish-brown eyes, and hus daughter had black hair that was darker than midnight and eyes the color of golden heavenly flame. It got even worse when Toni got older, her skin was pale and fair unlike both her parents who's skin was fair and lively. It was very rare for Magicians to conceive with mortals, thus the Superiors could hardly believe that John Weiss had a daughter with a mortal. Luckily, Toni picked up a lot of habits from him and Marjorie, making the Superiors believe she was in fact their daughter.

A long white bus drove in front of them. The door opened and a man in uniform came out to put Toni's bags and trunk into the luggage area.

"Good luck," John kisses her head as she stepped in the bus.

The other people on the bus were looking over, crowding at the window to get a glimpse of the living legend, John Weiss. The moment Toni stepped in the bus, eyes turned towards her, John Weiss daughter.

Not being in the mood for anything, Toni walked in and took the seat right behind the driver, as everyone else were crowding at the back. She heard whispers and murmers from the back.

"Is that really John Weiss daughter?" One leaned and asked her seat mate.

"She's pretty!" Another murmered.

"Do you know her name?" Someone said a little to loud.

"Doesn't she look a tad to young to attend?" Someone asked.

Toni didn't mind the comments and questions, for now. Though she knew that it wouldn't take long for people to start asking about the more negative view.

"She looks nothing like her dad," Someone in the far back said.

"Maybe she looks like her mom then," his companion wondered.

"Yo!" a new person joined the group, "I heard her mother's a mortal."

"You didn't know," another person joined, "John Weiss married a mortal."

Toni felt her fists clench and her heart accelerate.

"Who?" they asked.

"I heard she was rich," the person replied.

"That's propbably why he chose her," another person jumped into the conversation.

"Though I did hear she was pretty," someone shrugged.

Toni felt her heart explode. Along with it did all the bus windows. Everyone jumped or screamed in surprise. Next, the bus stopped and all the chairs lit on fire. Everyone started trying to put it out with simple spells but nothing worked.