Chapter 22

The next morning Peter woke up and got dressed and ready for school, he walked downstairs grabbed a banana and Walker and Karen dropped Peter off at the bus stop and went to work. Jesse was coming down the street as well as Martha and Haskel. They got on the bus and it took them to school, they went to class and started working on things for graduation on Friday.

"Is anybody going to do a speech?" asked the teacher.

"I don't know, nobody has said they would," said Martha.

"I will do it," smiled Jesse.

"You will?" asked Martha.

"Yeah," said Jesse.

"Wow okay," smiled Martha.

He started writing his speech. Then they all went home and rested up for Friday, the big day. The next morning Peter woke up and got dressed and went over to the cabin to see if Peter was up. He was up and ready to go.

"Are you ready?" asked Peter.

"Yes I am ready to go," said Jesse.

"Sweet let's go," said Peter.

Walker, Karen, Eagle Bear, Jesse, and Peter jumped in the pickup and went to the gym, that is where the graduation ceremony will be. They drove up and they heard singing and drumming, they were having a small pow wow as well. When they walked in they smelt fry-bread.

"It has been a long time since I had fry-bread," said Peter.

"Really," said Jesse.

"Yes silly, remember I didn't live on the reservation or grew up around it," said Peter.

"Oh that's right, well come on, let's get some fry-bread then," said Jesse.

They got fry-bread and beans and sat at the table. Peter just smiled as he was looking at it, and then they started to eat. Then Martha and Haskel walked in, they got some fry-bread and beans and stew meat as well.

"Hey guys," said Haskel.

"Hey, sit with us," said Jesse.

"This is it guys, we're officially going to be out in the real world soon," said Martha.

"Yeah," said Peter.

So they continued to eat. When they were finished they started walking around greeting other people, and the kids in their class.

"Hey guys, I am so proud of you all, congratulations," said the teacher.

"Thank you, we couldn't have done it without you," said Martha.

"Thank you," said the teacher.

So they all went to sit down in the seats they had lined up for the graduates. All the parents and grandparents came and sat down on the bleachers. They started beating on the drum and singing while everybody was gathering around and sitting down. Jesse, Haskel, Martha, and Peter sat down beside each other.

Peter looked over at Martha and smiled, she was starring upfront and did not even notice that Peter was staring at her. He went back to staring upfront as well. So it was time for them to start calling out names for the kids to come up and get there diploma. When it was all over they threw their hats up in the hair and shouted, the drums started beating again, and all the young kids started dancing.

"Before I miss my chance, Martha, will you go out with me," said Peter.

"What took you so long," smiled Martha.

"Really," said Peter.

"Yes, I"ve been waiting for you for a long time to ask," said Martha.

"I was afraid to," said Peter.

"It's okay," smiled Martha.

"Yes, it's about time you two," said Haskel.

Jesse, Peter, and Martha just laughed at him.

"Oh guess what my parents got me," said Peter.

"What," said Jesse.

" A 1972 pony in the barn, it's covered up, I can't ride it yet, I need to go to class and get my license before I ride it," said Peter.

"Your parents got you a pony," said Jesse.

"Yeah," said Peter.

"Ah, dude I can't wait to see it," said Jesse.

"Me either," said Haskel.

"Peter," said Martha.

"Yes," said Peter.

"I can't wait to see what the future has for us," smiled Martha.

Peter just blushed and smiled.

"Me too," said Peter.

"Peter, Jesse, it's late we better be going now," said Walker.

"Oh were coming, see you guys in the real world," said Jesse leaving.

"Bye Martha, Haskel, I'll be seeing you," said Peter.

"Bye Peter, take care," said Haskel.

"Thank you, you do the same," said Peter.

"Bye Peter," said Martha.

"Goodbye Martha," Peter hugged her.

When they finished Peter looked deep into Martha's eyes and smiled, then Peter slowly pressed his lips towards her lips and fireworks went off. Martha smiled and blushed, and walked away, Peter watched her walk away and she looked back at him and smiled, he smiled right back at her, he turned around and walked out towards the pickup and got in.

They drove back to the house and helped Jesse get settled in his new home because now they have to prepare for the real world and get jobs, and become adults. Peter was thinking about what Martha had said about the future. He was laying in bed thinking about the future, and what it held for both of them. He could not wait to get his license and start driving. Maybe even taking Martha riding on his pony someday.

"I see a time of Seven Generations when all the colors of mankind will gather under the Sacred Tree of Life and the whole earth will become one circle again" -Crazy Horse-