Calm Before the Storm

I hoped that I would never have to talk about Treasure Island again. However, two years after my fateful journey there, I would find myself setting my eyes on the island once again, but not alone. Before I continue my tale, I must inform you, my dear reader, what had happened after we returned home from the island. Captain Smollett's arm had healed, but he decided to use his share to retire from the sea early, and now teaches at Alcott's Preparatory School for Boys. Squire Trelawney used his share to help with his sudden financial troubles, and never hired another gamekeeper as he was still saddened over Redruth's death. As for Doctor Livesey, he used his share to obtain better medical supplies so he could be of better help for his patients. Ben Gunn had kept his share to use in emergencies, and decided to give my mother a helping hand around the inn. For me, I used my share to help my mother rebuild the inn as it was completely ruined after the pirate attack all that time ago. More customers began to appear in the inn, making our business boom. Everyone wanted to hear the tale of my adventures on the island, but what gave them joy, gave me nightmares. Almost every night after we escaped the island on Vlad's ship, I was never able to sleep easily. I always had nightmares about Silver and Vlad coming after me, but I would always awake before they could catch me. What didn't help was the fact that Silver had disappeared off of the ship, and Ben and I had helped him. I kept feeling guilty when I lied to my friends, but I hoped that I would never see that one-legged man again.

After a year of continuing to help run the inn, my mother soon approached me with an idea. Since I was no longer a poor innkeeper's boy, my mother thought that I should go to boarding school in order to obtain a proper education. Although I was a little hesitant, I decided to comply to my mother's wishes and attend Alcott's Preparatory School for Boys. Livesey decided that he himself would take me there at the beginning of the new school year. I was excited to start living a new life away from all the adventure, but tales spread. When Livesey and I arrived at the school, almost none of the other students looked at me. They had all heard of the tale of the boy who had found a treasure map and had retrieved the treasure, but they also heard about his enemies, and they wanted nothing to do with me. I immediately wanted to turn back around and head back to the familiar comforts of the inn with my mother and Ben. Livesey gave me a reassuring pat on the shoulder before the Headmaster of the school approached us.

"You must be Jim Hawkins," he greeted, holding out his hand for me to shake. "My name is Frank Jones and I am the Headmaster here. I hope that you will feel comfortable here."

"Thank you, sir," I thanked with a nod.

After gathering my belongings and waving good-bye to Livesey, I followed the Headmaster into the school. As we walked down the hallways, I heard whispers following us. I kept my head down, trying not to be seen. I felt relieved when we approached the room that I was staying in, but it washed away when it was revealed that I would be sharing a room with another.

"This is where you will be sleeping," the Headmaster explained. "Unfortunately, because of the increase of students, there are now two to a room, but I do hope that the two of you will become friends."

"Where is the other person, Headmaster?" I asked, looking at the barren space.

"He has just arrived in England and he came all the way from Denmark, so he will be here later," he explained, and when I was about to say something he held up his hand to interrupt me. "As I know, almost everyone in England knows about your whole 'adventure' two years ago, so I have decided to let you share a room with someone who does not know your tale."

"That actually helps a lot," I smiled. "Thank you, Headmaster."

"You should get some rest," he smiled back. "I will come back to inform the both of you when dinner is served. Class begins at 7 o'clock sharp tomorrow. Try not to be late on your first day."

"Of course, sir," I replied and waved a bit as he left.

As soon as the door closed, I began to unpack my belongings. The first shirt that I pulled out made me flinch. It was the same shirt that I had worn during the time we were on the island, and it still had the ripped shoulder from Hands' knife. I shuddered, and placed a hand over where my wound used to be, leaving only a scar behind. I quickly folded it and put it in the bottom of the drawer, only to be worn if I had no more shirts left. When I finished unpacking, I took out a book that Trelawney had given me for my sixteenth birthday last year and began to read. I made it to about the fortieth page when I heard the Headmaster's voice near my door. I placed down my book and waited patiently as the Headmaster opened the door and a boy around my age stepped inside. He had sandy blond hair and blue eyes, and he looked to be a little shy. The Headmaster told him the same thing he told me; informing when dinner will be served and that class was at 7 o'clock sharp. The boy thanked him before the Headmaster left. An awkward silence filled the air as we stared at each other. Finally, I decided to introduce myself first.

"Hi, I'm Jim Hawkins," I stood up and held out my hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Thomas Silberg," the boy replied in a Danish accent, and shook my hand. "But just call me Tom. It's a pleasure to meet you as well."

"I heard from the Headmaster that you're from Denmark," I began, sitting on my bed. "What's it like there and why did you move to England? Excuse my questions."

"It's okay," Tom replied with a laugh, as he sat on the unoccupied bed. "I'm glad that someone is interested in something like that. Well, Denmark is really nice with rolling hills and beautiful oceans." Tom gave me a sad smile before continuing. "Unfortunately, Denmark is in a war right now, so my mother thought it best to move far away from there, so we moved here. England is pretty nice too, I just miss home."

"I understand," I replied. "I do hope that you will consider England your home as well in the near future."

"I hope so too," Tom agreed.

A sudden knock at the door made us both jump in surprise, and I went to open the door. The Headmaster smiled at us and told us that dinner was ready and for us to follow him. When we approached the dining room, all chatter seemed to stop and all eyes turned on me. I wanted nothing more than to hide behind the Headmaster or let the walls swallow me up. One glance from the Headmaster sent the rest of the students back to eating, and soon he began to direct on how the dining room worked. We would approach the cook, who had different types of food, and they would give us a plate of what we wanted. As soon as Tom and I received our food, we made our way to an empty table, as we both didn't want to sit with the others. As soon as we sat down, Tom looked at me strangely.

"What's wrong?" I asked, a little worried.

"How come they were all staring at you?" Tom asked, before putting a spoonful of potatoes in his mouth.

"I-It's no reason," I muttered, not wanting to lose the only person who I could call a friend.

Tom raised an eyebrow at this, but just shrugged and continued to eat. I sighed as I began to eat my dinner as well, hoping that he would never find out about what happened two years ago.