Arrival at the Island: In the Eyes of Jim Hawkins

A knock was heard on my cabin door, but I stayed where I was. I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone after I saw my friend get washed overboard by the storm. The knock soon came again and I sighed before I told whoever it was to come in. Avery entered looking a bit angry, which caused me to sit up.

"Silver wants you on deck," he grumbled. "Honestly, he treats me like I'm nothing more than a messenger when I'm the first mate!"

I quietly made my way out of my cabin, pushing past a still grumbling Avery, and towards the deck. The bright sunlight made me blink a couple of times before my eyes adjusted. Silver noticed me and waved me over, and I reluctantly obliged. As soon as I stood by his side, he placed a hand on my shoulder, which I angrily shoved off. He acted as if he didn't notice, and just pointed forward.

"There it is, lad," he grinned. "That island sure brings back memories, doesn't it?"

"If by 'memories' you mean 'nightmares'," I said, suppressing a shudder. "Then yes, it does."

No reply was heard from Silver and I turned to see him making his way towards the helmsman. I sighed and drew my attention back to the island, a shiver crawling down my spine. A light mist seemed to envelope the island, which added to the uneasiness I felt in my stomach.

"Drop the anchor!" Silver's voice made me jump in surprise and I made my way over to where he stood.

"I hope this treasure was worth it," I muttered under my breath.

"I'm sure that Silberg will be fine," Silver absentmindedly waved his hand at me. "Prepare the longboats! We're going ashore!"

Still staring at the island, I let out a little "oomph!" when Silver smacked the map against my chest.

"You'll be coming along with us, lad," Silver ordered, not looking at me. "And don't try anything funny like the last time."

I didn't say anything as I lowered myself into one of the longboats, Silver following suit. As soon as the longboats hit the water, the pirates began rowing as fast as they could to the island, each stroke of the oars sending shivers down my spine.

***

"Well, lookie here Jim!" Silver laughed as he slapped my back, causing me to stumble forward. "This island hasn't changed a bit! I wonder if those other lads are still alive."

This caused me to perk up. I had almost forgotten about the other pirates that we marooned on this island as we sailed away on Vlad's ship. 

I worriedly began glancing around the island, but I inwardly sighed with relief when I didn't see anyone emerge through the trees waving swords around like mad men. A sharp whistle from Silver made me jump, and the others rushed over to us.

"We'll make our way to the old stockade!" he announced. "Let's move!"

Something white off in the distance on the water caught my eye before Silver turned me towards the trees and pushed me forward.

"Lead the way lad." he ordered, all humor gone from his eyes. "If you try to run, you'll be overpowered by my men. Avery! What's on the water?"

The rest of Silver's crew marched me forward into the trees, causing me to make out only a bit of what Avery told Silver.

"Looks like a ship fro..."

I huffed in annoyance as I led the crew towards the stockade. Birds sand in the trees, and the mist from earlier had begun to clear. Small animals ran to and fro, even running over my shoes. The pirates behind me were talking and laughing as a small breeze made the leaves rustle.

This place is actually pretty nice, I smiled a little. If only Tom could see this.

This thought made me frown a little sadness washed over me. I had finally made a new friend, and I lost him just as quickly. However, I still kept a little glimmer of hope that he was still alive.

I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye, causing me to suddenly stop. The pirates behind me halted as well, almost walking into me.

"Something wrong, boy?" the leader, Norman Anderson, asked.

"N-No," I stammered shaking my head. "I thought I just saw something."

"Just your imagination, lad," Anderson huffed. "Just bring us to the stockade."

I narrowed my eyes before heading off towards the stockade once again.

***

After a while of walking, the familiar walls of the stockade was seen. The pirate seemed to rejoice at having arrived at a shelter, but more bad memories flooded my mind. I remembered the attack of the pirates and the death of poor Redruth. Entering the stockade, I saw the mounds where we buried the dad, and a small shiver went up my spine.

"The old stockade."

Silver's voice made me jump and I turned to see him and Avery standing there. Avery was impatiently tapping his foot while Silver had an annoyed look on his face. He then gave me a look before huffing in annoyance and walking into the stockade.

"Looks like Silberg made it out alive."

"What?" I asked in surprise, but was ignored by Silver.

Avery pushed me forward, and we both entered the stockade to see Silver standing at the table, talking to his men.

"Alright boys," he began, a frown plastered on his face. "There's another ship straight from England heading over to us as we speak, and my beliefs is that Hawkins' friend was picked up by those men and their coming to get us soon."

This caused a murmur to break out from the other pirates, which Silver silenced with a hand.

"I say we find the treasure quickly and get off the island as soon as possible," Avery spoke up, his arms folded. "Then, we leave the boy here for the others to find. We get away with the treasure, and the boy gets to go home."

I was surprised at Avery's suggestion, but glad that he didn't want to kill me and just leave me here for the other ship to find me. Silver considered what he heard, but a shake of his head caused my heart to drop.

"No, we take the lad with us," he ordered as he picked up a pickaxe that lay on the table. 

"Are you serious?!?" Avery unfolded his arms and spread one out, pointing to out the stockade. "Those people on that boat will most likely not rest until they get this boy back!"

Silver just grunted and pushed his way past Avery, starting to make his way out of the stockade. He turned towards me and motioned me forward, and, thinking that it was best that I obey him, I jogged over to his side. He clamped a hand on my shoulder and squeezed it.

"If they are coming to take me back to England," I began, a little angry. "Then how come you won't let them?"

"If those are your friends and they're with that Headmaster of yours, it would be safer if you just stayed with me," he replied, not looking at me. 

Confused, I was going to ask him what he meant by that, but he spoke up before I said anything.

"There's something familiar about that man. I just can't put my finger on it."