Reunion: In the Eyes of Captain Smollett

The trip to the island was filled with uncomfortable silence. Jones kept glancing at Tom, an unreadable expression on his face. Tom, however, was leaning halfway over the longboat, an intense look on his face. I warned him not to lean too far in case we tipped over. As we reached the island Tom immediately jumped out of the longboat and almost took off running into the trees.

"Tom wait!" Livesey called after him, making the boy stop. "We can't go rushing after Silver and his men, they would kill us all! We have to think of a plan in order to safely get Jim back."

"I believe that we should surprise them with an attack," Jones spoke up, causing us to turn towards him. "In doing so, they will be unprepared and it'll give us a chance to get Jim back."

"That might work," Trelawney spoke up.

"No, it won't," I shook my head. "By now Silver has seen our ship and I'm sure that he and his men are preparing themselves for us to attack."

"Uh-Captain?"

"Not now Joyce."

"Captain Smollet! The boy has run off!"

Joyce's panicked voice made my head snap up and I turned to see Tom running deeper into the island. I cursed under my breath before barking orders at everyone to follow me.

***

"That boy is going to get himself killed!" I exclaimed, leaning against a tree. "Who gave him the bright idea to run off on a dangerous island?!?"

"I'm sure that he's just worried about his friend," Jones gave me a smile.

I didn't trust that man's smile, and I gritted my teeth before beginning to walk forwards again.

"Running off like that..." I trailed off before shaking my head. "Joyce, Hunter, can you go ahead to see if you can find Tom?" They nodded before running off, and I turned to the others. "Livesey, you, Trelawney, Jones, and I are going to see if Silver is fortifying the old stockade. Hopefully, we can get to him before Tom does."

Trelawney, Jones, and Livesey followed me as I took off running towards the stockade. It was silent as we ran, the only sound we made was the crunching of leaves and branches beneath our feet. Before we knew it, we approached the clearing for the stockade. Hearing voices I immediately stopped and held my arm out to make the others stop as well.

"Tom?!?" That was Jim's voice. "You're alive!"

"Jim!" That was Tom's voice. "Thank God you're okay! I was just so worried about you that I ran off without warning the others."

"The others?"

"The doctor, the captain, the squire, and the Headmaster."

"So, I was right in knowing that the Headmaster was with you then." Silver's voice floated through the air, and it took all my strength to not run in there to confront him. "We must get going."

I looked at the others to see what we should do. Livesey and Trelawney looked mortified, but Jones looked...calm. Almost too calm. This sent an uneasy feeling course through my veins and I nodded at the men. We would regroup with the others and try to think of a plan to get both Jim and Tom back safely.

***

"So...Silver has both of them now," Joyce murmured, folding his arms. "What are we going to do now?"

"We must follow them," Livesey stated. "Take Silver and his men by surprise, and then grab those boys."

I stood there, blocking out the sounds of the others talking. I glanced over to Jones, who was muttering something to himself. I finally sighed before speaking up. 

"We must return to the ship to grab arms and men," I explained, gathering the attention of the others. "This way we can be prepared if Silver knows we're coming and attacks us. This will also increase our chances of getting those boys out of there."

Livesey and Trelawney looked at each other before hesitantly nodded.

"You're right, Smollett," Trelawney nodded. "We better be prepared."

Suddenly, a loud gunshot rang through the air, and all heads turned to Jones, who was looking sheepishly at the ground. In his hand lay a still smoking pistol, and I felt myself fill with rage. 

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE YOU IDIOT?!?" I yelled at him. "NOW ALL OF SILVER'S CREW WILL KNOW WE'RE HERE!"

Before Jones managed to open his mouth, we heard yelling and soon Silver's men were upon us. I shouted at the others to take up arms, and miraculously we were able to fight back and kill them all. I began to relax in relief, but I soon tensed up again when I heard footsteps approaching us. Silver stepped out into the open, another man behind him who had a hand on Jim and Tom's shoulders, firmly grasping them. 

"Well, now here's a sight I haven't seen in a while," Silver smiled. "The old crew of the Hispaniola." His smile then formed into a frown. "And another man. I'll say, it sure has been a while since I've seen you, Frank Jones. I still don't understand why it took me this long to know that it was you who hired me at your school."

This caused the rest of us to freeze and turn towards Jones, who was glaring at Silver.

"About time you remembered me, Silver."